ST. GEORGE — The Dixie State University Institute of Politics is presenting a lecture titled “Afghanistan: The Never-Ending War” Thursday at 7 p.m. in the Eccles Concert Hall, 225 S. 700 East, St. George. The Lecture is an in-depth presentation on the war in Afghanistan presented by Shadman Bashir. Many questions will be looked at and answered such as:
- Is Afghanistan really the graveyard of empires?
- Why are we in Afghanistan?
- What is Afghanistan and why did its reconstruction fail?
- Who are the Taliban and what to do about them?
- Is it possible to get out of Afghanistan?
Shadman Bashir, a visiting professor of law and international relations at Dixie State University, teaches business and criminal law and war and terrorism and global law. A native of the Pakistani tribal region, Bashir is an expert in South Asian law, politics, conflicts and culture. He speaks six languages and multiple dialects. Having grown up in the tribal regions of Pakistan, Shadman provides a different and insightful perspective on the issue.