ST. GEORGE – Chartway Federal Credit Union and its divisions of HeritageWest and SouthWest Community proudly announces that eight student members have been awarded $3,000 scholarships, totaling $24,000 in academic aid.
For 26 years the credit union’s Directors’ Memorial Scholarship program has annually awarded scholarships to deserving student members pursuing graduate or undergraduate degrees. This year’s recipients include two students from Virginia, one from North Carolina and five from schools in Utah, as follows:
- Jena Araojo (Ivor, VA) – attending The College of William and Mary
- Kyle Farmer (Cary, NC) – attending North Carolina State University
- Garett Garcia (St. George, UT) – attending Dixie State University
- Kyleigh Graff (St. George, UT) – attending Dixie State University
- Kellie Heder (Tooele, UT) – attending Utah State University
- Wendy Heder (Tooele, UT) – attending Brigham Young University – Idaho
- Alailee Peacock (Tooele, UT) – attending Brigham Young University
- Murell Weimar (Virginia Beach, VA) – attending George Mason University
Recipients were selected on the basis of need, activities, academic performance, an essay and a letter of reference.
“Chartway Federal Credit Union and its divisions are honored to promote our industry’s ‘people helping people’ philosophy,” Ron Burniske, chief executive officer, said. “Providing support to our student members – the military, business, and professional leaders of tomorrow – is one vital way we are able to do exactly that.”
The Director’s Memorial Scholarship program was created in 1989 by its board members in recognition of the credit union’s success. Since its inception, the credit union has awarded nearly $200,000 in student scholarships to its members.
About the Chartway Federal Credit Union Family of Credit Unions
Chartway FCU, a not-for-profit financial institution, has been serving members and families since 1959, building a service network that includes more than 50 branches and a full slate of online, mobile, and telephone banking services, including mobile deposit and mobile bill pay. Headquartered in Virginia Beach, VA, the $2 billion credit union serves nearly 200,000 members. HeritageWest Credit Union and SouthWest Community Credit Union joined the Chartway family of credit unions in 2010.