ST. GEORGE — As impressive as Southern Utah’s natural wonders are, the value of the area truly lies in its people and the small businesses striving each day to support an atmosphere of community.
Now in its fifth year, the Best of Southern Utah contest aims to pay tribute to the fantastic businesses that give St. George its unique flavor. From pizza parlors and burger joints to automotive shops and building contractors, it’s an opportunity for owners, employees, customers and fans throughout the community to let their voices be heard.
And Southern Utahns spoke up in a big way, casting a record-shattering 747,000 votes. Participation in the nomination process also reached new heights this year with 1,333 businesses submitted.
In addition to celebrating the winners, the magazine is designed to serve as a guidebook for both locals and visitors seeking the very best that Southern Utah has to offer. Along these lines, complimentary copies are now available at the following businesses in the greater St. George area:
- Canyon Media, 3143 S. 840 East, Suite 100, St. George.
- St. George Regional Airport, 4550 S. Airport Parkway, St. George.
- BigShots Golf, 1108 W. Black Mountain Drive, St. George.
- Melted Massage, 1999 W. Canyon View Drive, St. George.
- Lin’s Market, 1930 W. Sunset Blvd., St. George.
- Fabulous Freddy’s Car Wash, 806 N. Bluff St., St. George.
- St. George Area Chamber of Commerce, 136 N. 100 East, St. George.
- Greater Zion Convention & Tourism Office, 111 E. Tabernacle St., St. George.
- Hurst Ace Hardware, 160 N. Bluff St., St. George.
- Riverfront Medical Center, 617 E. Riverside Drive, St. George.
- Summit Athletic Club, 1532 E. 1450 S., St. George.
- Red Cliffs Mall, 1770 E. Red Cliffs Drive, St. George.
- Terrible’s, 934 N. Commerce Blvd., Washington City.
- Dixie Power, 145 W. Brigham Road, St. George.
View and download a map of the distribution locations here.
Canyon Media managed the development and publication of the magazine again this year. Over the coming weeks, 15,000 copies of the glossy publication will be shared throughout the community.
“People are pumped to see the new magazine come out and find out who won,” said Brent Rowe, director of sales for St. George News. “The excitement that this contest creates every year is what makes it great for us.”
Canyon Media is hosting an exclusive winner’s gala again this year. Adding to the prestige, representatives from the winning businesses will be presented with a prize package featuring a gold or silver medal along with a window cling and a certificate celebrating their accomplishment.
“We actually have 28 businesses that won gold five years in a row, and that’s a big deal,” Lindquist said.
Small businesses are an invaluable thread in the fabric of Southern Utah, and they rely on the community’s support. Although the contest is a fun way for locals to help promote their favorite spots, it’s also an opportunity to celebrate the ingenuity and resolve of business owners as they continue improvising, repurposing and overcoming challenges to better serve their customers.
“We’re fortunate to collaborate with local business owners and employees on a daily basis,” Lindquist said. “Now, we have the opportunity to celebrate them and reward them for their hard work.”
Over the past five years, Best of Southern Utah has evolved into a signature event within the local business community and continues to grow in popularity. The 2023 contest was presented by St. George News and Canyon Media alongside title sponsor Dixie Power.
Copyright St. George News, SaintGeorgeUtah.com LLC, 2023, all rights reserved.