Hit-and-run collision disables 3 vehicles; suspect arrested for fleeing scene, suspected DUI

Scene of collision at the intersection of W. Sunset Boulevard and Dixie Driver, where the driver of a red Cadillac who started the chain reaction of collisions allegedly fled the scene, St. George, Utah, Dec. 7, 2021 | Photo courtesy of Melissa Merrill, St. George News

ST. GEORGE —A hit-and-run collision near the Walgreens at the intersection of W. Sunset Boulevard and Dixie Drive resulted in three damaged vehicles and injuries sustained on the part of one of the drivers involved.

The driver of the vehicle that started the chain reaction of collisions allegedly fled the scene, but he was subsequently apprehended by St. George Police. 

St. George Police Officer Tiffany Mitchell said the incident began shortly after 7:30 a.m. when a red Cadillac attempted a left turn out of the Maverick gas station on the southeast corner of Sunset and hit a green 2003 Honda Accord heading east on Sunset. The collision pushed the vehicle into a red 2015 Hyundai Sonata driven by a 77-year-old woman who was stopped in the westbound turn lane on Sunset. 

Michell said the chaos continued when the impact from that collision swung the Hyundai into the inside lane of westbound traffic and collided with a city vehicle, a 2020 white Chevy Silverado.  

The driver of the red Cadillac fled the scene, Mitchell said, adding that the vehicle was followed by concerned bystanders. They lost track of the vehicle, but St. George Police continued to circulate around the area for about 10 minutes, at which point St. George Police Capt. Michael Giles spotted the Cadillac, which had been abandoned in the parking lot of the Chuckwalla trailhead.

2014 file photo indicating the start of Chuckwalla Trail. The driver of a Cadillac involved in a collision Dec. 7, 2021, and who allegedly fled the scene was found by police at the Chuckwalla trailhead, St. George, Utah, Photo taken July 19, 2014 | Photo by Hollie Reina, St. George News

Police apprehended the driver of the Cadillac, who was fleeing on foot, Mitchell said, adding that officers detained the man and put him through a field sobriety test, after which he was arrested on suspicion of DUI as well as reckless driving, leaving the scene of a collision and failing to provide proof of insurance. As of publication of this article, the man’s identity has not been released.

The 77-year-old woman in the Hyundai Sonata was determined to have a possible broken nose as well as injuries to her hand and leg; however, she declined to be transported to the hospital by ambulance.  

All three vehicles were disabled and required towing from the scene.

In addition to St. George Police, Gold Cross ambulance and the St. George Fire Department responded to the scene.

This is a developing story.

Copyright St. George News, SaintGeorgeUtah.com LLC, 2021, all rights reserved.

Free News Delivery by Email

Would you like to have the day's news stories delivered right to your inbox every evening? Enter your email below to start!