Iron County municipal election results

Campaign signs for the six finalist candidates for Cedar City Council on the lawn outside the Hunter Conference Center, Southern Utah University, Cedar City, Utah, Oct. 15, 2019 | Photo by Jeff Richards, St. George News / Cedar City News

CEDAR CITY — Incumbents Terri Hartley and Craig Isom were both successfully reelected to the Cedar City Council, according to preliminary Election Day results released Tuesday night. Additionally, newcomer Tyler Melling, the top overall vote-getter, won a spot on the five-member council. Melling will take over the seat currently occupied by Paul Cozzens, who is now an Iron County Commissioner and did not seek reelection to the City Council.

In the mail-in election, voters could choose up to three of the six candidates, each of whom had made it past the August primary election.

According to the preliminary results sent out late Tuesday night by Iron County Clerk Jonathan Whittaker, the vote totals for each of the Cedar City Council candidates were as follows:

Cedar City Council (three open seats)

  • Tyler Melling 2,651 (23.9%)
  • Terri Hartley 2,256 (20.4%)
  • Craig Isom 1,952 (17.6%)
  • Adam Hahn 1,623 (14.6%)
  • Don Oswald 1,603 (14.4%)
  • Brittanie Parry 999 (9.0%)

“I am honored and humbled to have earned the confidence of nearly 60% of today’s voters and I look forward to the opportunity to earn the trust of the other 40%,” Melling told Cedar City News in a written statement Tuesday night.

Cedar City Council candidate Tyler Melling speaks during a candidate forum at Southern Utah University, Cedar City, Utah, Oct. 15, 2019 | Photo by Jeff Richards, St. George News / Cedar City News

“Next year’s council will be made up of four people with decades of experience in the public and private sectors,” Melling added. “I look forward to learning from them while offering a fresh perspective. I look forward to serving our beautiful city for the next four years and learning to represent all members of our community.”

Whittaker said an official updated vote count is expected to be released Friday.

“Over the next few days, we will process provisional ballots and ballots that were mailed by the deadline,” he said.

The results released Tuesday indicated that 11,084 votes were marked on 4,430 ballots, a turnout of approximately 29.5% of registered voters in Cedar City’s 25 precincts.

Elsewhere in Iron County, the town council election in Kanarraville saw a tie for second place on the ballot, making the race too close to call yet.

Kanarraville Town Council (two open seats)

  • Stoney Shugart 81 (27.9%)
  • J Tyler Allred 75 (25.9%)
  • Michael Humes 75 (25.9%)
  • Sandy Fullman 59 (20.3%)

Paragonah Town Council (two open seats)

  • Michael Abbott 144 (43.4%)
  • Marjorie Cipkar 89 (26.8%)
  • Nancy Dalton 74 (22.3%)
  • Jessica Stewart 25 (7.5%)

Parowan City Council (three open seats)

  • Matthew Gale 564
  • Jim Shurtleff 515
  • David Burton 416
  • Dayla Ulrich 328
  • Vickie Hicks 325

In Brian Head, which has just 96 registered voters, a total of 46 ballots were cast in the election for a two-year town council seat. Remarkably, Cecile-Marie Wallis and Shaun Kelly each received exactly half of the votes cast — 23 apiece, meaning the race won’t be decided until additional votes are received and counted.

Brian Head Town Council (one open seat)

  • Cecile-Marie Wallis 23 (50%)
  • Shaun Kelly 23 (50%)

Updated Nov. 10, 6:30 p.m. The updated totals sent out Friday from the Iron County Clerk’s office indicated that two additional ballots have been counted in the Kanarraville race since Tuesday’s initial results. The total votes for challenger Michael Humes now stand at 77 votes, moving him into second place, ahead of incumbent J Tyler Allred, who remains at 75 votes. Meanwhile, in the race for Brian Head Town Council, no additional votes were counted since Election Day, meaning Cecile-Marie Wallis and Shaun Kelly remain tied at 23. That race may end up being decided by a coin flip or random drawing of lots. Brian Head’s vote canvass is scheduled for 1 p.m. Tuesday, while Kanarraville’s is at 7:30 p.m. Thursday. No other Iron County races were affected by the updated vote totals distributed Friday.


Copyright St. George News, SaintGeorgeUtah.com LLC, 2019, all rights reserved.

Free News Delivery by Email

Would you like to have the day's news stories delivered right to your inbox every evening? Enter your email below to start!