Utah man pleads guilty to killing, raping 5-year-old niece

Searchers look for signs of 5-year-old Elizabeth Shelley on May, 27, 2019, in Nibley, Utah. Shelley was later found dead. | File photo by Eli Lucero/Herald Journal via Associated Press, St. George News

LOGAN, Utah (AP) — A Utah man pleaded guilty Tuesday to killing and sexually assaulting his 5-year-old niece whose disappearance earlier this year triggered a massive search and widespread concern in a picturesque mountain valley community.

This undated photo provided by the Logan City Police Department shows Elizabeth “Lizzy” Shelley, who was murdered in northern Utah in May 2019 | Photo courtesy of the Logan City Police Department via Associated Press, St. George News

Alex Whipple, 21, entered his guilty pleas to murder, kidnapping and rape Tuesday as part of the agreement that dismissed charges of obstruction of justice and desecration of a body.

Police say he killed Elizabeth “Lizzy” Shelley on May 25, after his sister let him spend the night at the family home. Lizzy was missing for five days before her body was found in a heavily wooded area less than a block from her home.

Prosecutors had previously agreed not to pursue the death penalty after Whipple gave his lawyer a map of where to find Lizzy’s body.

Cache County Attorney James Swink said Lizzy died after Whipple stabbed her in the back with a knife he took from his sister’s home in Logan, Utah, The Salt Lake Tribune reports.

Whipple hung his head as Swink spoke about the details of the crime and said “guilty” as each count was read.

This May 25, 2019, booking photo shows Alex Whipple, who raped and killed his 5-year-old niece. | Photo courtesy of the Cache County Sheriff’s Office via Associated Press, St. George News

His attorney, Shannon Demler, said there’s no excuse for his client’s actions, but that mental health issues played a factor. Demler told the Tribune that he plans to speak more about Whipple’s mental health at the sentencing hearing, though he accepts he’s facing a lengthy prison stay.

“He’s known all along from the very beginning that what he did was terribly wrong,” Demler said, “and that he was going to face prison time.”

During an interview with police after he was arrested in May, Whipple told detectives that alcohol made him “black out” and that he sometimes did “criminal things” while blacked out, authorities have said.

Lizzy’s aunt, Liesel Merrill, said after the hearing that her family misses her dearly.

“We are hopeful that the criminal case can be resolved quickly so that we can continue to grieve without the worry of court hearings,” she said. “We would like to remind everyone that Lizzy was about kindness, happiness and looking for butterflies and rainbows.”

Whipple is scheduled to be sentenced Sept. 24.

Copyright 2021 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

Free News Delivery by Email

Would you like to have the day's news stories delivered right to your inbox every evening? Enter your email below to start!