Washington City man wanted for allegedly sexually abusing 4-year-old child

File photo, St. George News

ST. GEORGE — A warrant has been issued for the arrest of a Washington City man who is accused of sexually abusing a 4-year-old girl.

Rex Roberts, 64, was charged Thursday with first-degree felony aggravated sexual abuse of a child. A $50,000 warrant was issued for his arrest after police were unable to locate him Friday.

The charges were filed after a woman went to the Washington City Police Department in early May to report the alleged sex offense involving Roberts and the child.

The woman told police that she became aware of the alleged abuse when the child kept grabbing the woman’s hand and placing it near her crotch area. When the woman questioned the child about her behavior, she told her Roberts touched her in that area.

The child then described incidents of sexual abuse, according to the affidavit filed in support of the warrant. The woman contacted police right away, and a forensic interview was conducted with the child. Shortly thereafter, investigators arranged to interview Roberts at the police station.

Rex Roberts, 64, of Washington City, booking photo posted in Washington County, Utah, Jan. 26, 2019 | File photo courtesy of the Washington County Sheriff’s Office, St. George News

During the interview with Roberts, police say he denied the allegations and told officers he never touched the child inappropriately, explaining that arthritis would have prevented him from doing so.

He also told police he would be willing to take a polygraph, according to the affidavit, but when he was advised that the test was scheduled, he refused to come in, telling police he wanted to consult with an attorney first.

After the investigation, police submitted a probable cause statement to the court for review, and Roberts was subsequently charged.

This is Roberts’ second recent brush with the law. He was charged with a second-degree felony early last year after allegedly purchasing a Cadillac from a dealership with a bad check in the amount of $56,200. He pleaded guilty to the charge and was later arrested when he failed to appear for sentencing. The case is still pending in the courts.

This report is based on statements from police and may not contain the full scope of findings. Persons arrested or charged are presumed innocent until found guilty in a court of law or as otherwise decided by a trier-of-fact.

Email: [email protected]

Twitter: @STGnews

Copyright St. George News, SaintGeorgeUtah.com LLC, 2019, all rights reserved.

Free News Delivery by Email

Would you like to have the day's news stories delivered right to your inbox every evening? Enter your email below to start!