Engine fire cooks Jeep at In-N-Out drive-thru

Washington City firefighters respond to a vehicle fire at the In-N-Out Burger on Telegraph Street, Washington City, June 5, 2019 | Photo by Mori Kessler, St. George News

WASHINGTON CITY — More than burger patties were cooked at the In-N-Out Burger on Wednesday when a Jeep in the drive-thru caught fire early Wednesday evening.

The Washington City Fire Department responded to the eatery on Telegraph Street around 5:15 p.m. What they found was a Jeep with the fire in the engine compartment.

“Engine 61 arrived in a few minutes and was able to put water on the fire and keep it to the engine compartment,” Washington City Fire Capt. Kelly Lang said. “The Jeep is probably a total loss though.”

The driver was able to escape injury and no other vehicles or structures were threatened by the fire as the Jeep has yet to reach the drive-thru window.

The cause of the fire is likely an electrical malfunction, Lang said.

The torched Jeep was towed from the drive-thru by 6:15 p.m.

While the fire did not occur in the roadway, traffic at the nearby Telegraph and Green Springs intersection was slowed due to passing motorists slowing to stare at the scene as they passed by.

This report is based on statements from police or other emergency responders and may not contain the full scope of findings.

Click on photo to enlarge it, then use your left-right arrow keys to cycle through the gallery.

Email: [email protected]

Twitter: @MoriKessler

Copyright St. George News, SaintGeorgeUtah.com LLC, 2019, all rights reserved.

Free News Delivery by Email

Would you like to have the day's news stories delivered right to your inbox every evening? Enter your email below to start!