ST. GEORGE — Go Girl Futures, a nonprofit organization dedicated to empowering youth through outdoor activities, is launching the Trekmates Initiative, a new effort to provide a hiking experience for both boys and girls in 8th and 9th grades.
The group is seeking more youth to attend this free event, which will take place June 8 from 6 a.m. to 1 p.m.
The initiative is in partnership with Zion Guru and sponsored by CamelBak.
Participants will receive free gear, an archaeological presentation and a hike in Zion National Park led by Zion Guru guides. Shuttle service, snacks and lunch will also be provided.
The initiative is a great opportunity for youth in the Southern Utah communities to be able to get outdoors and learn a lot about hiking and the area in a safe and fun environment, said Alexis Lindsey, an intern with Go Girl Futures who will be attending the hike. Organizers hope the hike will inspire kids to continue exploring the outdoors and eventually do other hikes.
“This area we will live in is so beautiful and not everybody gets the opportunity to get out and see it,” Lindsey said. “Plus they get free gear.”
An outline of the trip is as follows:
- 6 a.m. | Pickup at Affogato West, 214 N. 1000 East, St. George.
- 7-8 a.m. | Gear distribution and hiking 101.
- 8 a.m. | Shuttle to Watchman Trail.
- 9:45 a.m. | Archaeological presentation along Virgin River in Zion National Park.
- 11 a.m. to noon | Shuttle to Cafe Soleil for lunch.
- Noon | Depart for St. George.
- 1 p.m. | Arrive at Affogato West
For those who miss the June 8 event, Go Girl Futures will be doing a similar activity Aug. 1 for girls only.
Email: [email protected]
Copyright St. George News, SaintGeorgeUtah.com LLC, 2019, all rights reserved.