Small fire at church prompts evacuation of day care center

Firefighters investigate the scene at Community Presbyterian Church in Cedar City, where a small fire prompted the evacuation of a child day care center, Cedar City, Utah. Feb. 7, 2019 | Photo by Jeff Richards, St. George News / Cedar City News

CEDAR CITY — A small electrical fire at a Cedar City church Thursday led to the evacuation of a day care center.

Community Presbyterian Church in Cedar City, where a small fire prompted the evacuation of a child day care center, Cedar City, Utah. Feb. 7, 2019 | Photo by Jeff Richards, St. George News / Cedar City News

Firefighters were dispatched to Community Presbyterian Church at 2279 N. Wedgewood Drive shortly after 11:30 a.m.

“It was just an electrical problem that created some light smoke in the building, and the people evacuated,” Lanor Warby, Cedar City Fire Department’s assistant fire chief, told Cedar City News at the scene.

Smoke alarms in the building went off, but no sprinklers or extinguishers were activated, Warby said, adding that the damage to the building appears to be minimal.

“There’s just a light smell of smoke in the building,” he said.

“Everybody was able to get out and they’ve been relocated to another location, an LDS church just about a block north of here,” Warby said.

An Iron County School District bus was used to transport approximately 25-30 young children and several day care workers to The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints meetinghouse located at the corner where Wedgewood Lane becomes Canyon Center Drive.

Cedar City Police officers assisted in helping the children make it safely on and off the bus and into the other building.

Cedar City Police officers and others assist with the evacuation of a child day care center affected by a small fire. Approximately 25-30 children were safely removed from one church building to another one about a block away, Cedar City, Utah. Feb. 7, 2019 | Photo by Jeff Richards, St. George News / Cedar City News

At the time of the incident, utility work crews were installing underground lines on in the Presbyterian Church property and parking lot.

“We don’t know if it’s a related to the work that’s going on here, but it was some kind of electrical issue. We’ll just need to have it checked out by an electrician,” Warby said, noting that the cause of the fire appears to be accidental and unintentional.

Cedar City News attempted to contact Bright Starz Learning Center for additional information and comment, but calls and text messages were not immediately returned.

This report is based on preliminary information provided by law enforcement or other emergency responders and may not contain the full scope of findings.

Click on photo to enlarge it, then use your left-right arrow keys to cycle through the gallery.

Email: jrichards@stgnews.com

Twitter: @STGnews

Copyright St. George News, SaintGeorgeUtah.com LLC, 2019, all rights reserved.

Free News Delivery by Email

Would you like to have the day's news stories delivered right to your inbox every evening? Enter your email below to start!