ST. GEORGE — Occupants of a home in Hurricane were displaced Tuesday morning due to an attic fire.
The Hurricane Valley Fire District responded to a house fire in the area of 100 West and 300 South around 8:50 a.m. and saw smoke coming from the attic, Hurricane Valley Fire Battalion Chief Merlin Spendlove said.
A woman was outside trying the put the fire out with a garden hose when firefighters arrived. She, along with other occupants of the home, where evacuated from the structure while firefighters got to work.
No fire was found in the home beyond the attic and firefighters cut holes in the roof to gain better access to the fire in order to extinguish it.
The fire was mostly smoldering in the attic where a wood beam was in direct contact with a chimney stovepipe. It is believed heat from chimney pipe coming in contact with the wood and igniting it, Spendlove said.
The home has been built onto a couple of times in the past, Spendlove said, which may account for the placement of the beam next to the stove pipe.
“We’re lucky there wasn’t a fire before this,” he said.
While no one was harmed in the fire, the home’s occupants have been temporarily displaced, Spendlove said.
Aiding the Hurricane Valley Fire during the fire were firefighters from Hildale.
Click on photo to enlarge it, then use your left-right arrow keys to cycle through the gallery.
Email: [email protected]
Copyright St. George News, SaintGeorgeUtah.com LLC, 2019, all rights reserved.