Memorial bench in honor of Macin Smith unveiled at new park in St. George

L-R: Macin Smith's grandmother, Kim Bratt, and his mother, Tracey Smith, sit on a memorial bench made in honor of the missing teen, Crimson Ridge Park, St. George, Utah, Jan. 21, 2019 | Photo by Joseph Witham, St. George News

ST. GEORGE — A new tribute to Macin Smith, the teen who went missing over three years ago, was unveiled in St. George Monday, a physical representation of the enduring effort of an entire community committed to finding him.

FX Industries General Manager Wil DuCrest, right, helps unveil a memorial bench made in honor of Macin Smith, Crimson Ridge Park, St. George, Utah, Jan. 21, 2019 | Photo by Joseph Witham, St. George News

Friends, families and supporters of Smith gathered at the newly constructed Crimson Ridge Park on 3000 East at 5:15 p.m. to witness the unveiling of a custom-made memorial bench in honor of Smith.

The specially designed metal bench features a bright-eyed, smiling portrait of Smith, a depiction of what he looked like as a 17-year-old when he went missing from his St. George home Sept. 1, 2015. After Smith left his home that morning and never returned, an extensive search effort was launched with supporters from across the country.

His disappearance has since garnered international attention as police, news media and an abundance of supporters continue to look for clues. A Facebook group dedicated to finding him has nearly 50,000 members.

A couple dozen of Smith’s many supporters were at the park for the unveiling of the memorial bench, where a short ceremony paid tribute to him and his family.

File photo of Macin Smith’s school portrait, St. George, Utah, undated | Photo courtesy of Tracey Smith, St. George News.

“It’s hard that we’re here for this occasion, but it’s nice to be gathered with everyone that loves Macin so much and cares so much for him,” event organizer Kaitlyn Wilson said.

Wilson said she relates to Smith and hopes the bench will serve as a beacon of encouragement.

“I have a similar story to depression like he did – going through hard times in high school – and I just want to give back to Macin and let him know that he’s not the only one who suffered through high school,” Wilson said. “And there is a better life than just giving it all up. He has a family that loves him.”

Some of Smith’s immediate and extended family were present for the ceremony, including his mother, Tracey Smith, who said she appreciates that there is now a physical reminder of her son that she can visit.

The bench was donated by Hurricane-based FX Industries, a metal-working company.

“We’re proud of it,” FX Industries General Manager Wil DuCrest said.

“We got the idea to do the bench from the interview that Tracey did with St. George News about the last search for Macin,” DuCrest said. “She had said that she wanted something to basically go to and visit, and we also wanted it to be a place for other people who might be fighting with what Macin was dealing with.”

Supporters of Macin Smith gather at the unveiling of a memorial bench made in honor of the missing teen, Crimson Ridge Park, St. George, Utah, Jan. 21, 2019 | Photo by Joseph Witham, St. George News

The custom-crafted blue and white bench has laser-etched granite engravings that feature Smith’s full name and birthdate next to the date he went missing.

The engraving also includes a short phrase that reads, “Never Give Up; Never Surrender.”

DuCrest worked with the city of St. George to find the right location for the memorial bench. He said the city realized the forthcoming Crimson Ridge Park would be a fitting venue, given that it is near Smith’s home.

“What a perfect park. It’s new, it’s by his home,” Wilson said. “It’s where everyone can come and ponder about him and pray for him or tell him something.”

The park will be officially dedicated later this month.

Email: jwitham@stgnews.com

Twitter: @STGnews

Copyright St. George News, SaintGeorgeUtah.com LLC, 2019, all rights reserved.

Posted in Local, NewsTagged , , , , , ,

• Comment January 21, 2019 at 10:36 pm

Gone without a trace. Still one of the weirdest disappearances I’ve heard of.

I get the gesture, but I’ve got to be honest, I don’t like the way that bench looks. It just is not aesthetically pleasing. It looks like one of those bus stop benches with an advertisement painted on the back. I’d hope it’s comfortable anyway.

• Dolly January 22, 2019 at 12:03 am

My mother always told me that If I couldn’t say anything nice, to not say anything at all. I’m sure Macin’s family don’t care if you think the bench is aesthetically pleasing or not. Couldn’t you just move on without the “honest” comment, Comment?

• homer498 January 22, 2019 at 1:03 am

Oh shut your pie hole dude. Take a step back and observe some “situational awareness” for once in your life! What kind of sick freak makes negative comments about an inanimate object that a Mother wanted to make for her missing Son? Yes it was a rhetorical question because that person is you. What possible purpose does your post serve other than to hurt that kids Mother? Your “Honesty” we don’t need to hear, so keep it to yourself or wake up with my No.2 pencil in your ear.

• KR567 January 22, 2019 at 9:14 am

its OK homer people like comment always get a clue when Karma comes up and smacks them upside the head

• KR567 January 22, 2019 at 9:11 am

It’s really hard for you to show respect isnt it Bob ?aka ( comment ) . you just cant show a little compassion and sympathy and little understanding can you ? that’s really sad ..I’m just curious as to what it’s like going through life filled with so much negativity

• Comment January 22, 2019 at 2:14 pm

I’ve always suspected the boy was killed by someone close to him. It’s actually usually the story with these sort of cases. If it was a suicide the body should’ve been found by now. If he’s still alive it isn’t that easy for someone to just craft a new identity. The whole story makes and has never made much sense.

I listen to you people whine constantly, like I’m reading up there right now. Incessant whining like little babies that got their candy taken away. I don’t like the bench you people need to get over it. If I go over to that park and try it out and it turns out to be a very comfortable bench then I may change how I feel about it. hahaha, cheers all 😉

• Redbud January 22, 2019 at 3:07 pm

You are disrespectful, and until you know more about the situation than their family or the police and actually have something to contribute, your mouth is best kept closed.

• Comment January 22, 2019 at 3:59 pm

Some things need to be said. If my suspicions are totally unfounded the family has my apology in advance. I won’t go into the details of my speculations as they would be very offensive if proven wrong. Don’t you have some trump worshiping posts to make or something, red?

• Steve January 22, 2019 at 8:01 pm

Seriously? Trump worshiping posts? You better review your own posts for something like that. You simply have no empathy and are a troll of the worst kind; the kind that gets off on riling people up for no reason. Oh wait, no empathy, troll, and riles people up for no reason — sounds A LOT like Trump. Look in the mirror.

That said, my heart goes out to these people missing their son all this time. The bench is a wonderful tribute and I hope that its presence brings comfort to all who visit there.

• Comment January 22, 2019 at 9:06 pm

woah. How am I any more of a troll than you, steve? I misspoke on the previous post up there. I didn’t always believe they were hiding something. I believed the stories they told. Years have gone by. Hundreds or thousands of people have searched the desert around here up and down for years looking for remains, and nothing. How does a 6’4 200LB young man just vanish into thin air? If the people closest to this are hiding something I hope it eats away at them. I hope someday they’ll confess what they know. Problem with me is I have too much empathy. And sometimes it sucks that I have to be right almost all of the time. And I don’t like that bench. I sold a bench about 10 years ago when I moved that was beautiful so I know what a good steel bench looks like. You take care steve.

• Redbud January 23, 2019 at 4:28 am

Steve, I do not worship Trump, and I wasn’t going to say anything about Trump pertaining to this news article. There is a time and place for everything, and an article about a missing boy and their family is not the place to start talking about politics.

• KR567 January 22, 2019 at 9:10 pm

Do yourself a favor Bob..aka ( comment ) just stop shooting off your mouth

• homer498 January 22, 2019 at 9:48 pm

It was never about the “bench” you idiot. It was about the total lack of character, and abysmal depth of narcissism you embody. You’re on the level of a convicted child molester who refuses to admit he hurts children! I bet you’re all about “fake news” and conspiracies when you get caught too; then its you doing the “incessant whining” isn’t it.

• Comment January 23, 2019 at 12:14 am

woha! woah!

wow!

Those are some heavy duty accusations there, “homer”

And how is it not about the bench? The whole rigmarole began with the bench.

I’ll just say this much. I hope they find whoever killed that boy. Whatever murderer out there is still roaming around free without a care in the world, and homer up there making wild accusations at me. smh. peace, all

• AnnieMated January 22, 2019 at 7:16 pm

My heart goes out to the family of this kid. I hope beyond all hope that he is still alive. That said, whether alive or dead, I hope he’s found soon so the family can have some closure and maybe, just maybe, begin to heal. Macin, if by some miracle you are out there, call your mother.

• KR567 January 22, 2019 at 9:14 pm

Bob aka ( comment ) can sure dish out the disrespect and ignorance he always does. but he doesnt like it when he gets called for it …..karma is headed his way ……

• ladybugavenger January 23, 2019 at 10:56 am

Y’all attacking Bob for saying he doesnt like the bench chosen for the memorial. Bob doesnt have to like the bench and he can say that too. But y’all responding to it is horrible.

As far as speculation, it honestly is all that people have.

Macin Smith is a name I will never forget. Where is Macin, always a question.

• Comment January 23, 2019 at 12:27 pm

True, all we really have is speculation. It’s a bit like when you got attacked on all sides for speculating on that rape charge article. Sometimes the truth is not what anyone wants to hear. And rather than accept it they take the path of hating the person that is telling them the hard truth. It’s a bit insane, but it’s how human psychology works sometimes I suppose.

So, some of this discussion went a little like:

“I don’t like the memorial bench.”

next thing

“You’re on the level of a convicted child molester who refuses to admit he hurts children!”

Next thing you know, not liking a park bench has turned me into a serial child molester. smh…

• ladybugavenger January 23, 2019 at 4:12 pm

I like the bench but I’m not going to attack you for not liking it Bob.

• iceplant January 23, 2019 at 8:32 pm

Let us all know when you two are done making googly-eyes at each other.

• Comment January 23, 2019 at 10:21 pm

maybe I’m just projecting my dislike of the bench because I’m just so disappointed with the outcome of this entire thing overall. I don’t like unsolved mysteries. I fully believe people close to this are hiding secrets and it just makes me mad. Like, it doesn’t affect me personally, but I have followed the case from the get-go. It’s just really really disappointing. It’s too bad things had to turn out this way. People can hate me for stating unpleasant things that probably SHOULD be stated if it makes them feel better. You know people like I know people, LBA. And people are liars. Maybe some day the truth comes out. Or maybe those who know the truth hide it away for the rest of their lives. I hope they are consumed by their dark little secrets. I’m not naming anyone specific here, but they know who they are. God would know.

• homer498 January 23, 2019 at 12:52 pm

I’ll apologize to you “comment”, if you will apologize to Macin’s Mother.

• ladybugavenger January 23, 2019 at 4:05 pm

An apology for ransom, no one needs that.

You’re offended, but I highly doubt Mrs Smith is offended by Bob. Bob has always wondered what happened to Macin, just like we all have. It’s a bench Homer. He made a comment about a bench, not about the memorial for Macin. God bless your hearts.

• Comment January 23, 2019 at 4:43 pm

I’ll continue to believe secrets are being kept–secrets that might reveal the truth about what happened to Macin Smith. If I found out that was not the case, then yes, I’d most definitely feel bad about a lot of remarks I’ve made. Thank you, but I don’t require your apology. I know how you feel about it and you know how I feel about it.

• ladybugavenger January 24, 2019 at 5:08 pm

One thing that has been kept secret is the contents of the letter he wrote that the mom found. The contents have not been revealed publicly. I’m not saying it should be, that’s not my call to make, I’m saying it hasn’t been revealed.

• Comment January 24, 2019 at 9:17 pm

Well, they have a right to not reveal what was in the letter as that’s personal family stuff. I’m more concerned about where the body is buried. It’s a big desert out there and we may never know what really went down. I fully expect to never know. smh