ST. GEORGE — Steeped in rich traditions, surrounded by eye-popping beauty and punctuated by the unbridled enthusiasm of approximately 2,000 runners, the 2019 St. George Half Marathon is set to inspire Saturday at 9 a.m. Presented by Altra Zero Drop, the 37th annual edition of the St. George Half begins and ends in front of the Dixie Center St. George.
“This spectacular race is on paved roads and trails, and winds along the Virgin River which takes runners through the magnificent landscape of St. George,” said recreation specialist Sadie Bassett. “Where else in Utah can you run a USA Track & Field certified race like this in the middle of January?”
Those seeking a less physically taxing experience can participate in the 5K race at 9:15 a.m. The kids races begin at 11 a.m. and include distances of 1-mile, ½ mile and 200 meters.
Festivities begin Friday with the race expo, set for 1-9 p.m. at the Dixie Center. There will be food, apparel vendors and members of the health and fitness industry on hand. Race participants will pick up their packets, and there will be an opportunity for late registration to the events.
Race registration includes a T-shirt, finisher medal, chip timing and post-race refreshments. Awards will be given out three-deep in each 5-year age category for men and women.
For registration information, click here.
Road closures and slow traffic zones
- Convention Center Drive from Crosby Trailhead to Wildlife Museum – 7 a.m. to 1 p.m.
- Convention Center Drive from Wildlife Museum to 1670 South – 8:45-9:10 a.m.
- 1670 South to Dixie Drive – 8:45-9:10 a.m.
- Riverside Drive will be one lane from Dixie Drive to River Road – 8:45-9:30 a.m.
- One lane right side from River Road to St. James Lane – 9 a.m. to noon.
- One lane right side from Brigham Road to 120 East – 9:30-11 a.m.
Slowed traffic but open roads
- Dixie Drive from 1670 South to Riverside Drive (police delayed traffic) – 8:45-9:10 a.m.
- St. James Lane and Lizzie Lane – 9:10-10:10 a.m.
- Point Drive and Bloomington Hills Drive – 9:20-10:30 a.m.
- 120 East to the trailhead behind Pilot Gas Station – 9:30-11 a.m.
For a PDF map of the route, click here.