‘No one stops at that stop sign’; T-bone crash results in 2 tows, 1 driver transported to hospital

A Ford Fusion is loaded onto a tow truck following a T-bone crash on West 200 South, St. George, Utah, Oct. 11, 2018 | Photo by Cody Blowers, St. George News

ST. GEORGE — Two vehicles were destroyed, and one driver was transported to the hospital after a T-bone crash was set in motion when a driver blew through a stop sign on 200 South Thursday morning.

The Ford Fusion and the Ford Escape are both towed from the roadway after T-bone crash on West 200 South, St. George, Utah, Oct. 11, 2018 | Photo by Cody Blowers, St. George News

Officers and emergency personnel were dispatched shortly after 11 a.m. to a two-vehicle crash involving a blue Ford Fusion and a red Ford Escape on West 200 South and South 300 West. Initial reports indicated one of the drivers was possibly injured in the collision.

Upon arrival, officers found the Fusion in the middle of 200 South partially blocking both directions of travel. The Escape was partially on the sidewalk and partially blocking southbound traffic on 300 West.

The Escape driver suffered minor injuries during the collision and was transported to Dixie Regional Medical Center for evaluation and treatment, St. George Police officer Andy Mickelson said, while the woman driving the Fusion told officers she was uninjured.

A Ford Escape sits mangled after a T-bone crash on West 200 South, St. George, Utah, Oct. 11, 2018 | Photo by Cody Blowers, St. George News

At the time of the crash, the Escape was heading north on 300 West while the Fusion was heading west on 200 South. The woman driving the Fusion continued through the intersection without stopping at the stop sign and T-boned the northbound Escape.

The force of the impact spun both vehicles around and caused the Escape to tip onto its side before it crashed to the ground where it came to rest in an upright position with the front-end blocking the sidewalk.

The Fusion driver told police that “she did not see the stop sign for westbound traffic and continued through,” Mickelson said.

A resident that lives a few yards from where the crash occurred told St. George News that “no one stops at that stop sign,” referring to the sign located on 200 South, adding that he has seen many “close calls and crashes as cars from all directions just go right through without stopping.”

The drivers were properly restrained at the time of the crash, and multiple airbags deployed in both vehicles.

The driver of the Fusion was cited for failing to stop at a stop sign, and both vehicles were destroyed in the crash and subsequently towed from the scene.

This report is based on statements from police or other responders and may not contain the full scope of findings.


Click on photo to enlarge it, then use your left-right arrow keys to cycle through the gallery.  

Email: [email protected]

Twitter: @STGnews

Copyright St. George News, SaintGeorgeUtah.com LLC, 2018, all rights reserved.


Free News Delivery by Email

Would you like to have the day's news stories delivered right to your inbox every evening? Enter your email below to start!


Leave a Reply

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.