ST. GEORGE — The annual celebration of Santa Clara’s Swiss heritage is kicking off this week with a parade, fun run and free concert.
Swiss Days is a three-day festival in Santa Clara that brings people from across Southern Utah for a tribute to the pioneers who first settled the area. The festival will begin Thursday evening with a community dinner and continue through Saturday with the parade and other activities.
The reason Santa Clara celebrates Swiss Days is to honor the heritage of the Swiss immigrants who settled the area, said Lainee Frei, co-chair of Swiss Days.
“Switzerland is so beautiful and lush and green, and then (the immigrants) ended up in the desert of Southern Utah. They made it a beautiful place, which is what we celebrate,” Frei said.
The schedule for this year’s Swiss Days is similar to how it has been run in the past, except for a different performer at the free concert, Frei said.
It’s the one citywide celebration of the year in Santa Clara, so Frei said it’s important to members of the community and people from around Southern Utah who visit Santa Clara for the festival.
“It just brings the community together,” Frei said.
- What: Swiss Days.
- Where: Most events take place at or around the Santa Clara City Office, 2603 Santa Clara Drive, Santa Clara.
- When: Sept. 20-22.
- More information on events can be found on the Santa Clara City website.
- Community Dinner – 5-7 p.m. at the Santa Clara City Office – For $6 a plate, people are invited to a community dinner with a concert.
- Opening Ceremony – 7 p.m. at the Santa Clara City Office – The opening ceremony for Swiss Days will include a flag ceremony, braiding of the maypole and appearances from the Santa Clara City princess royalty.
- Golf tournament: 8 a.m. at the Sunbrook Golf Club, 2366 Sunbrook Drive, St. George – For $400 per team, golfers will take part in a tournament to win a new car. All proceeds from the tournament go to local charities.
- Silent auction and bake sale: 3-8 p.m. at the Santa Clara City Office.
- Hands-on pioneer activities for children: 4-5:30 p.m. at Heritage Square, 3020 Santa Clara Drive, Santa Clara – This event will feature 14 free pioneer activities for children.
- Free concert: 8 p.m. at the Santa Clara City Office – Country singer Charley Jenkins will be performing.
- 5-kilometer fun run or walk: 7 a.m. at the Santa Clara City Office – Details on how to pay for the race and the route through the city can be found online.
- Pancake breakfast: 7:30-9:30 a.m. at the Santa Clara City Office – The Santa Clara mayor and City Council members will be serving breakfast to people for $3 a plate.
- Red Rocks Car Show: 8 a.m.-4 p.m. at Canyon View Park, 1400 Canyon View Drive, Santa Clara.
- Parade: 9:30 a.m. along Santa Clara Drive.
- Silent auction and bake sale: 10:30 a.m.-4 p.m. at the Santa Clara City Office
- Free bingo: 1:30-3 p.m. within the City Council chambers in the Santa Clara City Office.
In addition to all of the events during the weekend, there will also be craft and food vendors on the sides of the Santa Clara City Office on Friday from 3-9 p.m. and on Saturday from 10:30 a.m.-4 p.m.
Email: [email protected]
Copyright St. George News, SaintGeorgeUtah.com LLC, 2018, all rights reserved.