Roy George Parker

Sept. 1, 1922 – Aug. 24, 2018

Roy George Parker died unexpectedly on August 24, 2018 at 9:49 pm surrounded by family. He was 95 soon to be 96. He was born in a brick home in Ogden, Utah on September 1, 1922. His parents are George Gilbert Parker and Eunice Pearl Love.

Roy met his wife, Emma Norine Neilson, at a dance in the Ogden White City Ballroom. He asked her if she remembered his name. She didn’t remember so he told her it was Roy which rhymes with boy and what do you do when you park a car? You pull it up to the curb and then you Park-er. After that she never forgot his name. They were married on September 11, 1942 and were sealed in the Logan LDS temple in 1964. They have three children: Jeffery born in 1943, Jill born in 1949, and Kelly born in 1957.

During his childhood, Roy’s dad worked on the railroad until the Depression hit. Then when Roy was about 10 years old they had to move to the farm in West Point, Utah. They shared the farm with Roy’s uncle Grant. The farm had no electricity or indoor plumbing. Roy’s job on the farm was to fetch water from the well and take the cows to pasture. During this time is when Roy meet his first love (before Norine) a dog name Benny. He said it was love at first sight.

Later in Roy’s childhood he moved to Long Beach, California with his mother. While there he graduated from Poly Tech High School at the age of 18. He loved living in Long Beach.

Roy said that he lived with his family until he was twenty. Norine wanted to know why he moved out. He told her, “because I married you!” with a laugh.

During WWII he didn’t want to be drafted so he enlisted in the Army Air Corps on Oct. 28, 1942, a month after he was married. There he trained to be an airplane mechanic. One of his more memorable jobs was to make the airplanes capable to launch atomic bombs. His service ended Nov. 28,1945. After the war he worked at Hill Field Air Force Base doing the job he loved as an airplane mechanic. He retired in 1976 and moved to St George, Utah.

Roy was a very intelligent man who was always busy doing things. He was an excellent mechanic. He loved to read. With as many home improvements he made on his own homes, he could have written a book on home repair. He made several boats, including a canoe he built in the basement. He enjoyed painting, carving birds, playing the guitar by ear without taking lessons. He also used to fish until he decided it was too much work and would rather catch his fish at the market. He also loved to do crossword puzzles. In fact this was usually the activity he would be involved in when anyone would come over to his home. He also fought to get rid of daylight saving till his dying day.

The hardest day of his life was the day his wife, Norine, died. He has missed her. Roy is survived by his children: Jeff (Ylvia), Jill (Dennis) Thayn and Kelly (Wendy); 11 grandchildren and 20 great-grandchildren.

Funeral services

  • Funeral services will be held on his birthday, Saturday, Sept. 1, at 2 p.m., at the Metcalf Mortuary Chapel, 288 West St. George Blvd., St. George, Utah.
  • A visitation will be held Saturday, prior to services, from 1-1:45 p.m. at the mortuary.
  • Interment with military honors will follow at Tonaquint Cemetery, 1777 South Dixie Drive, St. George, Utah.

Arrangements have been entrusted to the care of Metcalf Mortuary, 435-673-4221.

For condolences, full obituary and funeral listings please visit Metcalf Mortuary online.

Free News Delivery by Email

Would you like to have the day's news stories delivered right to your inbox every evening? Enter your email below to start!

Leave a Reply

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.