ST. GEORGE — The St. George Dance Company, in partnership with Dixie State University College of the Arts, is excited to host the Red Rock Dance Festival featuring three full days of moving, collaborating, dance-making and performing.
Taking place June 7-9 at Dixie State University, the festival aims to bring together a community of choreographers, performers, educators and students in a cooperative environment to study, perform and create new work.
The event will be highlighted by performances from professional dance companies SALT Contemporary Dance from Salt Lake City and Sample Dance from Las Vegas. Performances will be held June 8 at 7:30 p.m. in the DSU Eccles Fine Arts Center. Performances are open to the public.
Participants of the festival will work with the dance companies and other guest dance artists on developing and exploring ideas in dance. Workshops offered include modern technique, ballet, repertory, improvisation, composition and partnering. Guests age 16 and older are welcome to attend.
The Red Rock Dance Festival also provides a three-day junior workshop for kids age 9-15 and offers one full scholarship to each dance school or studio in Southern Utah.
In addition to the resident companies’ performances, the event will also host a choreography showcase. Choreographers have been encouraged to submit their work and receive feedback from well-known professionals in the field.
Choreographers are primarily from western and southwestern states and are made up of a broad range of backgrounds, from university faculty to emerging artists that are just entering the field.
The choreography showcase will take place June 9 at 7:30 p.m. in the DSU Eccles Fine Arts Center.
Dance pieces submitted by choreographers will be adjudicated by the following experts:
- Daniel Charon, Artistic Director of Ririe-Woodbury Dance Company.
- Greg Sample, founder of Sample Dance and former dancer for Céline Dion, Cirque de Soleil, Phantom and Hubbard Street
- Michelle Nielsen, Artistic Director of SALT Contemporary Dance, former dance faculty at Brigham Young University.
- What: Red Rock Dance Festival.
- When: Thursday-Saturday, June 7-9.
- Where: Dixie State University, 225 S. 700 East, St. George.
- Cost: Adult (ages 16 and up) professional dance training, $150 | Individual classes, $16 | Junior workshop (ages 9-15), $100 | Salt Contemporary Dance and Sample Dance performance, $15 | Choreography showcase, $10.
- Registration and tickets: Online or by calling 435-773-1221.
Email: [email protected]