Body of missing Washington City man found on hiking trail

Composite photo. The body of Jordan Goudy, 50, of Washington City, was located Thursday evening in Washington City, Utah, Jordan Goudy photo date and location not specified | Photo courtesy of Marylynn Goudy, St. George News

ST. GEORGE — The body of a missing Washington City man was discovered on a hiking trail by volunteers during an extensive search Thursday evening.

Officials recovered the body of 50-year-old Jordan Goudy at 6:30 p.m. after volunteers discovered the body while searching the area surrounding Sullivan Park in Washington City, Washington City Police Department spokesperson Ed Kantor said.

“He was located on a hiking trail in the area of Sullivan Park, and he was found deceased,” he said.

Jordan Goudy went missing after leaving his home in Washington City on foot Wednesday morning. He was last seen walking north on Washington Fields Road near Sullivan Park. His wife, Marylynn Goudy, reported her husband missing Wednesday after she was unable to contact or locate him. She expressed concern that her husband had been depressed.

Read more: MISSING: Police ask public’s help in finding Washington City man

The preliminary investigation shows that the death “appears to be a suicide,” Kantor said, but he was unable to release further details at this time.

The Washington County Search and Rescue was contacted by the family requesting assistance, and after contacting detectives at the Washington City Police Department, search teams were coordinated and deployed to the area, program coordinator Sgt. Darrell Cashin said.

In all, approximately 25-30 members responded to the area to assist in the search for Goudy.

Washington County Sheriff Cory Pulsipher was also involved, Cashin said, providing assistance to the group of volunteers and family members as they were organizing areas to search and giving briefings and updates.

Per protocol with any unattended death, Kantor said, the medical examiner has been contacted and may conduct an autopsy to determine the cause of death based on input from investigators.

Marylynn Goudy provided updates and information on the status of the search for her husband on social media and commented on Facebook Thursday night.

“We are so very sad but feel loved and supported and grateful to you all,” she wrote.

The investigation into the incident continues.

This report is based on statements from police or other emergency responders and may not contain the full scope of findings. 

Email: [email protected]

Twitter: @STGnews

Copyright St. George News, LLC, 2018, all rights reserved.


Free News Delivery by Email

Would you like to have the day's news stories delivered right to your inbox every evening? Enter your email below to start!

1 Comment

  • Billion May 11, 2018 at 9:24 pm

    This was a very sad and unfortunate end to a well attended and well organized public effort. To clarify, there may have been 25-30 official Search and Rescue personnel, but there were in my estimation at least 100 concerned private citizens who also showed up to help and volunteer to search. My prayer is that Jason’s family can know that he is now where there is no more sadness and no more tears.

Leave a Reply

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.