10 Utah colleges compete in ‘H2Oath: Water War’ for chance at $5,000 scholarship

Composite image, St. George News

SALT LAKE CITY — In a challenge to see which school can acquire the most pledges from students, faculty, alumni and fans, the Utah Division of Water Resources recently announced it is once again holding the “H2Oath: Utah’s Water-Wise Pledge” competition among 10 Utah colleges and universities running now until Oct. 20.

The Water War-winning school will receive a $5,000 scholarship to the department or program most closely related to water conservation. Utah State University won the challenge last year.

“We call it H2Oath: Water War,” said Todd Adams, deputy director of the Utah Division of Water Resources. “We are interested to see which school is the most dedicated to water conservation, and this is a fun way to find out. Utah State University pulled out the win at the last minute last year. I think they’ll win again, but I am definitely biased…Go Aggies.”

Joshua Palmer, the division’s Water Efficiency, Education and Engagement Section manager, said the fall is a perfect season to start the challenge.

“This water war competition really brings the heat. You don’t want to lose to your arch nemesis, and with football season here, this is another great way to show your fandom and support for your school,” Palmer said.

H2Oath has a pledge category where H2Oath participants can choose their favorite Utah college or university. The pledge can be taken at the H2Oath website. The competition will take place through Oct. 20. Commitments include watering no more than what the division’s Weekly Lawn Watering Guide recommends and several other practical commitments.

“We encourage schools to get the information into their school newspapers, department newsletters, social media and even announcements at sporting events,” said Faye Rutishauser, state water conservation coordinator. “We also encourage school leaders to take the pledge in order to reduce water use on campus.”

The division encourages participants to let their peers know via social media when they take the H2Oath, using the hashtags #H2Oath #WaterWar. Participants are also encouraged to tag the school they selected.

College and university choices include:

• Brigham Young University
  • Dixie State University
  • Salt Lake Community College
  • Snow College
  • Southern Utah University
  • University of Utah
  • Utah State University
  • Utah Valley University
  • Weber State University
  • Westminster College

Utah State University won last year’s H2Oath Water War competition. USU had eligible students submit creative water conservation ideas which included videos, artwork and essays to award the $5,000 in scholarships.

Email: [email protected]

Twitter: @STGnews

Free News Delivery by Email

Would you like to have the day's news stories delivered right to your inbox every evening? Enter your email below to start!