UPDATE: Missing 18-year-old found in the desert

Rylan Ihde was found alive Monday morning by his father. Undated. | Photo courtesy of Eric Ihde, St. George News

ST. GEORGE — Rylan Ihde, missing since Friday, was found alive Monday and reunited with his father.

The 18-year-old was reported missing after the Utah Highway Patrol found an abandoned car at milepost 185 on Interstate 15, near the Scipio summit.

Eric Idhe spoke with St. George News Sunday about his concerns for his missing son.

Read more: A father’s plea for his missing son on Father’s Day

Rylan Ihde’s aunt, Leslie Ihde,  contacted St. George News Monday morning with the following email:

Eric found his son in the desert near his car alive and dehydrated.

L-R: Eric Ihde and Rylan Ihde after Rylan’s rescue in the desert of Millard County Monday morning, Fillmore, Utah, June 19, 2017 | Photo courtesy of Eric Ihde, St. George News

Rylan Ihde apparently ran out of gas Friday near Scipio. He decided to hitchhike to the next town. A car picked him up and made a U-turn to take him back to Scipio, Eric Ihde told St. George News.

However, the teen was convinced the driver was traveling in the wrong direction, so he demanded to get out of the car. He got out and headed up into the woods.

“He basically hid out for two and a half days,” Eric Idhe said. “All he had was water and nothing else.”

A helicopter and a 15-person Search and Rescue team were unable to locate Rylan Ihde, his father said.

Eric Ihde was searching in the desert near Scipio early Monday morning. He said about 7 a.m. a couple of people driving through the desert spotted Rylan limping on the road and stopped to ask him if he needed help.

“That’s when I got the call,” Eric Ihde said.

The teen was taken to Fillmore Community Hospital with severe dehydration and released about 11 a.m. Eric Ihde says he and his son plan on staying in Fillmore Monday night then heading back to Hood River, Oregon, Tuesday.

Eric Ihde had not met the people who gave Rylan the ride but would like to express his thanks to them, as well as to Millard County Sheriff’s deputy Rick Carter, who responded to the call.

“I’m just ecstatic,” Eric Ihde said.

Email: [email protected]

Twitter: @STGnews | @NewsWayman

Copyright St. George News, SaintGeorgeUtah.com LLC, 2017, all rights reserved.

Free News Delivery by Email

Would you like to have the day's news stories delivered right to your inbox every evening? Enter your email below to start!


  • Brian June 19, 2017 at 12:08 pm

    I love a happy ending. I wish Rylan and Eric the best. Kudos to a loving father that was there when his son needed him most.

    • mesaman June 19, 2017 at 5:15 pm

      Indeed, a happy ending. Reading the headline, I was prepared to read of his demise. The story that followed heightened the happy ending. Good luck and good fortune Rylan. There may be a script written for you that didn’t include a loss of life.

  • St. G June 19, 2017 at 3:45 pm

    This story doesn’t add up…but all’s well that ends well.

  • paul June 19, 2017 at 3:47 pm

    Great news. Glad it turned out the way it did. Could of been real bad

  • knobe June 20, 2017 at 9:29 am

    I have a niece who ignored my traveling instructions & decided to do it ‘her’ way .
    When she was late showing up I started calling but it went to voice mail .
    Eventually she called back But was so far lost she had gone into Nevada & was roaming around when she finally saw a sign that said “welcome to Utah” . . . Then realized how lost she was .

    I told her to call 911 so they could get a location fix from the GPS on her phone .
    Fortunately she DID listen to me on that & they guided her Back .

    Alas , younglings often ignore the old people talking because they already know everything .
    Sometimes they are found before they perish . . . Ryan was very lucky .


    • comments June 20, 2017 at 11:27 am

      aint that the truth 😉

Leave a Reply

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.