SALT LAKE CITY — Following the announcement at the beginning of May from University of Utah President David Pershing that he is planning on returning to a faculty position, the Board of Regents has named a 24-member committee to conduct a national search for the next president of the university.
Pershing will remain as president until his successor is appointed by the Board of Regents.
The search committee will be chaired by Regent Harris Simmons and the U. Board of Trustees Chair H. David Burton. The committee comprises representatives from the Board of Regents, trustees and institutional stakeholders, including faculty, staff, students, administration, alumni and community members.
“As Utah’s flagship institution, the University of Utah is increasingly recognized nationally and internationally for its cutting-edge research and quality of educational programs,” said Daniel Campbell, chair of the Board of Regents.
Campbell called the committee selection “thoughtful and deliberate,” adding that each member has a significant connection to the University of Utah and a strong interest in the university’s success.
“This committee will play a critical role in the search for the U’s next president,” he said, “and we appreciate the willingness of these committee members to lend their expertise and time to this important process.”
The presidential search committee will hold public meetings to obtain input from members of the University of Utah community and the general public on the presidential search. A schedule of these meetings will be released in late summer.
Based on this feedback, the committee will approve a position announcement and call for nominations and applications. The committee will then screen applications for the position and conduct interviews with candidates. After deliberating, the committee will recommend three to five finalists to the Board of Regents.
Below is a complete list of the University of Utah’s presidential search committee members:
Board of Regents
- Harris H. Simmons – Regent, search committee chair
- Daniel W. Campbell – Regent chair
- Patricia Jones – Regent
- Robert S. Marquardt – Regent
University of Utah Board of Trustees
- H. David Burton – Trustee chair, search committee chair
- Zach Berger – Student Body President
- Phil Clinger – Trustee
- Christian Gardner – Trustee
University of Utah Administration, Faculty and Staff
- Cynthia Berg – Dean, College of Social and Behavioral Science
- Richard Brown – Dean, College of Engineering
- Margaret Clayton – Academic Senate President and associate professor in College of Nursing
- Kathleen Cooney, MD – Chair, department of internal medicine, School of Medicine
- Sarah George – Executive Director, Natural History Museum of Utah
- Jeff Herring – Chief Human Resource Officer
- Uri Loewenstein – Professor of finance, David Eccles School of Business
- Ana Maria Lopez – Associate VP for Equity and Inclusion, U Health Sciences
- Jennifer McConnell – President, Utah Staff Council
- Nicole Robinson – Assistant VP for Equity and Diversity
- Wes Sundquist – Chair, department of biochemistry, School of Medicine
- Monica Vetter – Interim Associate VP for Research, U Health Sciences Community/Alumni Representatives
- Julie Barrett – Immediate Past President, Alumni Association
- Lisa Eccles – President and COO, George S. and Dolores Doré Eccles Foundation
- Jim Olson – President, Vivint SmartHome Arena
- Janice Ugaki – CEO and founder, Firmseek
The Utah System of Higher Education is governed by the Board of Regents and comprises Utah’s eight public colleges and universities. The CEO of USHE is the Commissioner of Higher Education. For more information, visit higheredutah.org.