Life Flight stands down for 24 hours to pay respect to colleague killed in crash

A three-vehicle collision killed an Intermountain Life Flight paramedic and seriously injured a flight nurse on state Route 40 near Strawberry Reservoir, Wasatch County, Utah, Jan. 22, 2017 | Photo Courtesy of Utah Highway Patrol, St. George News

UTAH — After a three-vehicle collision killed a 29-year-old Intermountain Life Flight paramedic near Strawberry Reservoir Sunday, Life Flight’s adult teams in northern Utah announced their decision to stand down for 24 hours Monday and not fly or transport patients during that time.

Transport coverage during this time was coordinated with other EMS agencies and air transport services

Image courtesy of Intermountain Healthcare, St. George News

Life Flight paramedic and Salt Lake City firefighter, Tyson L. Mason, of Plain City, died in the crash, Intermountain Healthcare Spokesperson Jess Gomez said. A Life Flight nurse was also seriously injured in the crash.

The two had just completed a shift at the Life Flight base at Uintah Basin Medical Center in Roosevelt, Gomez said, and were returning to Salt Lake City, traveling west on state Route 40 just before 10 a.m. in a 2017 Subaru car.

Around that same time, a 2006 Impala and a 2014 Dodge truck were eastbound on SR-40.

The Dodge truck was passing the Impala in the passing lane near milepost 43 when the Impala veered to the left, side-swiping the truck, according to a statement issued by the Utah Highway Patrol.

A three-vehicle collision killed an Intermountain Life Flight paramedic and seriously injured a flight nurse on state Route 40, near Strawberry Reservoir, Utah, Jan. 22, 2017 | Photo Courtesy of Utah Highway Patrol, St. George News

The impact forced the Dodge truck into oncoming westbound traffic, and it hit the Subaru driven by Mason head-on, Highway Patrol officials said. Mason died as a result of his injuries.

The nurse, whose name and age have not been released, was taken by helicopter to Intermountain Medical Center in Murray in serious condition, UHP officials said.

“This is a tragedy to lose a member of the Intermountain Healthcare and Life Flight family,” said Joe Mott, administrator of Intermountain Medical Center in Murray. “Our hearts and prayers go out to their families, friends and colleagues for this devastating loss.”

As a show of respect for their colleagues and in accordance with safety protocols, Intermountain Life Flight’s adult teams in northern Utah decided to stand down and not fly or transport patients for a 24-hour period, Gomez said, noting that they had coordinated coverage with other EMS agencies and air transport services.

Life Flight operates bases at the following hospitals: Dixie Regional Medical Center in St. George, Intermountain Medical Center in Murray, McKay-Dee Hospital in Ogden, Primary Children’s Hospital in Salt Lake City, Uintah Basin Medical Center in Roosevelt and Utah Valley Hospital in Provo.

This report is based on preliminary information provided by law enforcement or other emergency responders and may not contain the full scope of findings.

Click on photo to enlarge it, then use your left-right arrow keys to cycle through the gallery.

Email: [email protected]

Twitter: @STGnews

Copyright St. George News, LLC, 2017, all rights reserved.

Free News Delivery by Email

Would you like to have the day's news stories delivered right to your inbox every evening? Enter your email below to start!


  • comments January 24, 2017 at 2:11 pm

    Would be ironic if someone was not able to be transported in time and died from their decision to “stand down”. Seems doing the job they chose would be a better way to honor their deceased colleague than taking the day off, IMO.

    • .... January 25, 2017 at 6:40 am

      Helloooooooooooooohh is this the fire department ?

      Yes it is !

      My house is on fire !

      sorry can’t help you were standing down today !

  • Bender January 24, 2017 at 2:13 pm

    Headline writer has mild case of clickbaititous. Per article stand down not just about respect… it’s a safety protocol.

  • paul January 24, 2017 at 8:12 pm

    That’s such a great idea. Are you kidding me ,so let’s put others at risk that makes a lot of sense

  • paul January 24, 2017 at 8:15 pm

    I doubt he would of wanted it that way ,to risk someone else life

  • Larry January 25, 2017 at 5:08 am

    “They” did not decide to “Stand Down as a show of respect”, It is a safety mandate and regulation coming from the fact that pilots and other crew members (including flight nurses administering care) need to have their full attention on the task at hand. Not thinking of the death of their teammate. It stems from the fact that later crashes or mistakes have been made after an incident like this and it is not safe or wise to fly after something like this happens.

    • Bender January 25, 2017 at 10:14 pm

      Regulations, protocols and rules like this are often written in the blood of those that died in previous accidents. Aviation is remarkably safe today because we pay attention to and strive to understand the causes of prior mishaps.

Leave a Reply

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.