Washington City fire claims final victim

Firefighters respond to a mobile home fire, Washington, Utah, Dec. 5, 2016 | Photo by Joseph Witham, St. George News

WASHINGTON CITY – Officials confirmed late Saturday evening that the 27-year-old woman involved in a fire in Washington City earlier this week has died. She is the third victim to have died as a result of injuries sustained in the fire that consumed a trailer home Monday night.

The woman was preceded in death by her 3-year-old daughter who died on Wednesday, and 60-year-old Richard Kirkland, who succumbed to his injures Tuesday. All had been listed in critical condition prior to death.

She had been taken to University Medical Center in Las Vegas along with her daughter.

Ed Kantor, of the Washington City Police Department, confirmed the police had been alerted to the woman’s death late Saturday afternoon.

The names of the woman and her daughter have not yet been released by authorities.

Richard Kirkland, photo location and date unspecified | Photo courtesy of Richard Kirkland Funeral & Medical GoFundMe page, St. George News
Richard Kirkland, photo location and date unspecified | Photo courtesy of Richard Kirkland Funeral & Medical GoFundMe page, St. George News

The two had been trapped inside their home at 441 E. Angie Lane in Washington City as a fire consumed their trailer home. Kirkland, a neighbor, saw the fire and ran in to try and get the woman and her daughter out. However, he was also overwhelmed by the growing blaze.

The fire occurred around 7 p.m. Monday and ultimately led to the Washington City Fire Department calling on backup from other area fire departments.

Firefighters initiated a rescue operation when they learned three people were inside. Kirkland and the child were not breathing at the time and the woman was unconscious at the time fire crews pulled them out.

The woman and her daughter were taken to University Hospital in Las Vegas by Life Flight while Kirkland was taken by Gold Cross Ambulance to Dixie Regional Medical Center where he was pronounced dead the following day.

Though his actions ultimately cost him his life, Kirkland was praised as a hero by those that knew him.

Personnel from the State Fire Marshal’s Office arrived Tuesday afternoon to investigate the cause of the fatal fire. Thus far nothing new has been reported in this regard.

St. George News reporter Kimberly Scott contributed to this report.

This report is based on preliminary information provided by emergency responders and may not contain the full scope of findings.

Ed. Note: The address first published has been corrected to 441 E. Angie Lane per corrective notification from the Police Department.

Email: [email protected]

Twitter: @MoriKessler

Copyright St. George News, SaintGeorgeUtah.com LLC, 2016, all rights reserved.


Free News Delivery by Email

Would you like to have the day's news stories delivered right to your inbox every evening? Enter your email below to start!

1 Comment

  • .... December 11, 2016 at 12:55 am

    This is so sad and tragic. my condolences to the families. R.I.P

Leave a Reply

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.