ST. GEORGE – Doctors and staff of the St. George Eye Center are pleased to announce the Excellence in Health Sciences Scholarship, a college scholarship for students interested in pursuing a degree in the health sciences field
The scholarship is made available to high school seniors at Hurricane, Pine View and Desert Hills high schools. One student from each of the three schools will receive a $1,000 scholarship to pursue an educational path in the medical field.
The health sciences field is broad and thus the scholarships could apply to students wishing to become a dental hygienist, medical technician, nurse or physician, said Dr. Snow Slade of the St. George Eye Center.
This is the second time St. George Eye Center has offered the Excellence in Health Sciences Scholarship. In February 2015 scholarships were awarded to Braxton Murdock of Desert Hills High School and Samuel Allen of Hurricane High School.
“This is a way to give back to the community,” Slade said. “We remember being poor students needing to get into college and trying to come up with every penny to be able to do so.”
To apply for the scholarship the student must fulfill the following criteria:
- Student must be a member of the senior class and graduate high school by June 1, 2017.
- Student must maintain a 3.8 grade-point average or higher. Transcripts are required to accompany the application packet.
- Student must write an essay no more than 500 words in length detailing their interest in the health sciences field and the goals they hope to accomplish in that field.
- Students must validate their desire to go into the health sciences field by providing a one-page letter of recommendation from someone (parent, teacher, counselor, et cetera) who is aware of their interest in the health sciences field.
Slade said he hopes all students who are interested apply. Working in the medical field is hugely rewarding, he added.
“To see people in their weakest states and to be able to pick them up and make them better and make them more whole is very rewarding,” Slade said.
Applications for the Excellence in Health Sciences Scholarship must be turned in to the front office of the high school the student attends no later than Jan. 9, 2017.
A selection committee made up of the doctors and staff of St. George Eye Center will choose the scholarship recipients. Their choice will be based on who they feel exhibits real desire to enter the health-related field, Slade said.
One winner from each school will be awarded the scholarship and it will be presented to them at halftime during a home basketball game. The date of the game is still to be determined.
Any questions regarding the scholarship can be directed to Mika Peterson by telephoning 435-632-6799.
• S P O N S O R E D C O N T E N T •
- What: Excellence in Health Sciences Scholarship.
- Apply: Turn in application packet to the front office of your high school by Jan. 9, 2017. See criteria above.
- Resources: For questions or more information contact Mika Peterson: 435-632-6799.
Email: [email protected]
Copyright St. George News, SaintGeorgeUtah.com LLC, 2016, all rights reserved.