IVINS — The Southern Utah Veterans Home has announced that the 3rd annual “Veterans Day 5K and Fun Run” will be held on Saturday, Nov. 12.
The event features a 5K race and a 1-mile Walk, Roll and Fun Run for veterans and individuals with disabilities. Community members who would like to show their support for veterans can do so by walking along with them in celebration of Veterans Day.
“We love partnering with the community in any way we can,” Southern Utah Veteran’s Home administrator Jerry Olson said. “The Veterans Day Race is a great way to help the community join with us in celebrating Veterans Day and in recognizing the service of these great men and women.”
Proceeds from the race and from community sponsors will benefit the “Shop With A Veteran” program in partnership with the World Wide Warriors – a youth service learning organization located in Washington County.
“Some of our veterans spoke at a World Wide Warriors leadership training meeting about WWII and Vietnam,” Southern Utah Veteran’s Home director of community relations Vie Van Voy said. “It was truly a wonderful opportunity to bring our youth and veterans together. The connections they’ve made can only grow as we partner on additional projects in the future. It is wonderful to have the World Wide Warriors participating with us in our Race this year as volunteers and participants. It’s a great way to celebrate Veterans Day by having kids walk a mile with the veterans.”
The youth seem to have embraced the opportunity. In preparation for the race, a World Wide Warriors Art Competition was held, and Lee Kelley, a 9th grader at Snow Canyon Middle School, won first prize in designing this year’s race shirt. The T-shirt sponsorship money from the race will go to further support the World Wide Warriors in connecting with veterans by collaborating on a Shop with a Veteran service project this December to help needy families in the area.
The Shop With A Veteran program is a new collaboration this year for the World Wide Warriors and the Southern Utah Veterans Home. The service learning based program will bring together local youth and veterans celebrating the holiday season with a little Christmas cheer as they purchase presents for local children in need.
The race day festivities will kick off with the Pine View Air Force junior ROTC Color Guard Posting the Colors at 9:30 a.m. followed by the national anthem led by Red Mountain Elementary Choir. There will be a special announcement dedication after their performance to honor an individual who has greatly impacted and contributed to the Veterans Day 5K and Fun Run program.
Immediately after the dedication, the 1-mile Walk, Roll and Fun Run will be led by Southern Utah Veterans Home residents, with those who need or request assistance being pushed by the junior ROTC cadets.
Throughout the event, race participants, visitors and community members can enjoy the Desert Cruzin’ Car Show, booths, games, music, face painting, hand and chair massages all while enjoying free popcorn and root beer floats. Attendees can even take photos with an army tank.
Registration for the event is available online at www.active.com or at the Veterans Home. See entry fee details below.
“We’d love to see the community come out to enjoy the event and support our local veterans,” Van Noy said. “The opportunity to walk a mile with veterans who’ve served our country and fought for our freedoms is priceless.”
- What: Veterans Day 5K and Fun Run.
- Race packet and T-shirt pickup: Friday, Nov. 11, from 4–6 p.m. at the Southern Utah Veterans Home, or Saturday, Nov. 12, from 8-9:15 a.m.
- Race day: Saturday, Nov. 12, 9:30 a.m.–noon| check-in: 8-9:15 a.m.
- Where: Race will start and end at Southern Utah Veterans Home, 160 N. 200 East, Ivins.
- Roll participants using wheelchair or motorized wheelchairs must be accompanied by a walking participant.
- For questions regarding registration or for additional event information, contact Vie Van Noy, Southern Utah Veterans Home community relations director, at 435-634-5220 or 435-619-9663.
- Early Bird registration in person at the Southern Utah Veterans Home front desk (thru Nov. 1, 2016): $25 for 5K, $15 for 1 mile (includes shirt while supplies last).
- Online registration: $35 for 5K, $15 for 1 mile (includes shirt while supplies last).
- Family registration: $75 (5 person limit – 5K); $50 (5 person limit – 1 mile).
- Registration can be done on Active.com.