PROVO — BYU Broadcasting, including its nationwide university-affiliated flagship cable television network BYUtv, has received 13 Emmy Awards at the annual Rocky Mountain Southwest Chapter of the National Academy of Television Arts and Sciences Emmy Awards Ceremony, held in Scottsdale, Arizona.
The Academy recognized BYUtv with an Emmy for Overall Excellence for a station, the first time the network has received such an honor.
With a total of 28 nominations across 21 categories, BYU Broadcasting was recognized for its outstanding 2016 season of original and diverse offerings, including new series “Relative Race” and “Random Acts” as well as fan-favorites “Studio C,” “American Ride,” “The Story Trek” and “BYU Sports Nation.”
“Studio C,” BYUtv’s long-running viral sensation, sketch comedy series, also received its first two awards in the arts/entertainment and teen (13 and older) categories. The network’s original docudrama “Joan of Arc,” about the unlikely French heroine who played a pivotal role in world history, won in the historical documentary category.
BYUtv is available in high definition to more than 60 million homes in every state of the country.
“Receiving the Overall Excellence award at this year’s ceremony, in addition to being recognized for our roster of original family entertainment, is a true honor for BYU Broadcasting and our flagship cable network, BYUtv,” BYU Broadcasting Managing Director Derek Marquis said. “We are beyond pleased to have our breadth of programming recognized for the fifth year in a row by the National Academy of Television Arts and Sciences, as we continue to experience extraordinary growth and expand into genres that we hope will resonate with new viewers as well as with our loyal audiences.”
The Rocky Mountain Southwest chapter includes Arizona, New Mexico, Utah, Wyoming and El Centro, California.
13 Emmy awards won
- Overall excellence: Derek Marquis, managing director
- Documentary – historical: “Joan of Arc”
- Arts/entertainment – program/special: “Studio C,” Season 6, Episode 3
- Teen (13 and up) – program feature/segment /program special: “Studio C: Season 6, Episode 7”
- Historic/cultural –program feature/segment/program special: “American Ride; Episode: Sage of the Age: Dr. Benjamin Franklin
- Informational/instructional: “Utah’s Sanctuary: Great Salt Lake”
- Religion – program feature/segment/program special: “The Story Trek; Episode: Who Is My Brother?”
- Interview/discussion – program/special or series: “The Story Trek; Episode: The Last Frontier”
- Special event coverage (other than news or sports) – live or edited: “Christmas Under the Stars featuring GENTRI and Lexi Mae Walker”
- Promotion: Program – campaign: “BYU Basketball” on BYUtv
- Promotion: Program – single spot/image: “American Ride; Episode: Pilgrim’s Journey”
- Promotion: Program – sports: “BYUtv Sports; Blue Runs Deep” campaign
- Interstitial with KBYU Eleven and BYU: “Beehive Stories: Davis County”
Email: [email protected]