News short: Structure fire started with cigarette

In this file photo from September 2016, Cedar City Fire Department responds to a fire on Leigh Hill, Cedar City, Utah, Sept. 3, 2016 | Photo by Tracie Sullivan, St. George News / Cedar City News

CEDAR CITY – A structure fire that started in a garage kept fire crews busy into the early hours of the morning Tuesday.

The Cedar City Fire Department responded to the fire located on the block of 2300 W. and 4375 N. at about 1:15 a.m. Crews arrived on scene approximately 10 minutes later, Fire Chief Mike Phillips said.

The fire started in the garage with a cigarette and quickly spread to the attic, Iron County Sheriff Mark Gower said.

Authorities are unsure of how exactly the fire spread, Gower added, but the incident is under investigation.

While the outside of the garage did not appear to have sustained much damage, inside the attic it was a different story.

“You can’t hardly tell on the outside of the home there was even a fire but we had to pull a lot of the ceiling down,” Phillips said. “The whole roof is going to have to be replaced.”

Damages are estimated at approximately $45,000, Phillips added.

There were no injuries reported.

Email: [email protected]

Twitter: @tracie_sullivan

Copyright St. George News, LLC, 2016, all rights reserved.

Free News Delivery by Email

Would you like to have the day's news stories delivered right to your inbox every evening? Enter your email below to start!

Leave a Reply

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.