3 residents, 1 officer treated for smoke inhalation after flames engulf kitchen

Three residents and a police officer are treated for smoke inhalation after a kitchen became engulfed in flames in a home on Bannock Way, Mesquite, Nevada, Oct. 8, 2016 | Photo courtesy of Mesquite Fire Rescue, St. George News

ST. GEORGE — Three residents and a police officer were treated for smoke inhalation after a kitchen in a Mesquite, Nevada, home became engulfed in flames Saturday afternoon.

Three residents and a police officer were treated for smoke inhalation after a kitchen became engulfed in flames in a home on Bannock Way, Mesquite, Nevada, Oct. 8, 2016 | Photo courtesy of Mesquite Fire Rescue, St. George News
Three residents and a police officer are treated for smoke inhalation after a kitchen became engulfed in flames in a home on Bannock Way, Mesquite, Nevada, Oct. 8, 2016 | Photo courtesy of Mesquite Fire Rescue, St. George News

Mesquite Fire Rescue was dispatched to the structure fire on Bannock Way after residents arrived home to find their house full of smoke, Fire Chief Kash Christopher said in a statement Monday.

Upon arrival, fire crews found smoke coming from the attic and rear of the single-family home, Christopher said. Firefighters were able to locate a fire burning in the kitchen of the home and were able to quickly knock the flames down.

High heat in the attic – evident with thermal imaging – was also quickly cooled by firefighters to prevent the fire from spreading.

“Three residents of the home were evaluated for smoke inhalation after they repeatedly entered the home to attempt to put the fire out and evacuate animals,” Christopher said.

Three residents and a police officer were treated for smoke inhalation after a kitchen became engulfed in flames in a home on Bannock Way, Mesquite, Nevada, Oct. 8, 2016 | Photo courtesy of Mesquite Fire Rescue, St. George News
Three residents and a police officer are treated for smoke inhalation after a kitchen became engulfed in flames in a home on Bannock Way, Mesquite, Nevada, Oct. 8, 2016 | Photo courtesy of Mesquite Fire Rescue, St. George News

An officer with the Mesquite Police Department was also checked out for smoke inhalation as he was attempting to get the residents out of the house, Christopher said, adding that all of those evaluated refused transport to the hospital.

“Mesquite Fire Rescue would like to remind everyone to immediately evacuate a structure if it is on fire and to stay out,” Christopher said. “Smoke and heat can kill or cause debilitating injury with even very minimal exposures.”

While fire officials believe the fire to be accidental in nature, Christopher said the incident is still under investigation.

This report is based on preliminary information provided by law enforcement or other emergency responders and may not contain the full scope of findings.

Click on photo to enlarge it, then use your left-right arrow keys to cycle through the gallery.

Email: kscott@stgnews.com

Twitter: @STGnews

Copyright St. George News, SaintGeorgeUtah.com LLC, 2016, all rights reserved.

Free News Delivery by Email

Would you like to have the day's news stories delivered right to your inbox every evening? Enter your email below to start!

1 Comment

  • .... October 10, 2016 at 1:55 pm

    I’m just so glad that everyone will be ok.and admire them for thinking of their pets and putting themselves in harms way to save the animals. .and the police officer risking his health and safety to make sure no one was left in the house has my admiration. Praise the Lord !

Leave a Reply

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.