ST. GEORGE – St. George artists and galleries will open their doors to art lovers Friday and Saturday as part of the “Third Weekend Art and Studio Tour.” Held in conjunction with the “Third Thursday Art Conversations” series, the weekend events kick off a season of studio and gallery tours that will run the third weekend of every month from September-June.
The monthly tour is sponsored by the City of St. George Arts Commission, the St. George Area Tourism Office and Arts to Zion. In January, it will be part of the “Arts to Zion Art and Studio Tour.”
The Third Weekend Art and Studio Tour is a self-guided art adventure tour through the studios and galleries of many St. George artists. Guests of the tour will be able to see many of the artists at work and have an opportunity to meet them and learn about their processes.
Studios and galleries on the tour will be open Friday and Saturday from 10 a.m. to 3 p.m. An online map of participating artists can be found here. Printed maps and information can be obtained at the Arts to Zion headquarters in the Arts to Zion/Southern Utah Showcase at Gallery 35, 35 N. Main St. in St. George.
Directional signage will be posted throughout the tour to aid in navigation.
The Third Weekend Art and Studio Tour will be highlighted by several evening activities and receptions.
The event will kick off Thursday at 7 p.m. at the St. George Art Museum, 47 E. 200 North, St. George, where juried artists will speak as part of the Third Thursday Art Conversations series.
In addition to the Art Conversation, guests are welcome to attend any of September’s highlighted events:
- Reception for featured watercolor artists Maureen Booth and John Mangels | Friday, 6-8 p.m. | Arrowhead Gallery ETC, 68 E. Tabernacle, St. George
- Reception for “Go Out and Play: An exhibit of childhood memories of play” | Friday, 7-8:30 p.m. | Dixie State University Sears Museum Gallery, 225 S. 700 East, St. George
- Reception for textile artist Sandra Sandberg of the St George Weaving Studio. Sandberg will be demonstrating weaving on a loom and spinning silk thread 1880s style | Friday, 7-9 p.m. | Arts to Zion Showcase at Gallery 35, 35 N. Main St., St. George
- Dixie Watercolor Society artists Daphne Schroth and Glenda Gaskey will be featured | Friday, 7-9 p.m. | Arts to Zion Showcase at Gallery 35, 35 N. Main St., St. George
The Third Weekend Art and Studio Tour is free to attend.
- What: “Third Weekend Art and Studio Tour”
- When: Friday-Saturday, 10 a.m. to 3 p.m. | Information for evening activities can be found here
- Where: Various St. George art galleries and artist studios, download map
- Cost: Free
- Resources: Website | Facebook event page
Email: [email protected]
Copyright St. George News, SaintGeorgeUtah.com LLC, 2016, all rights reserved.