Man charged with Utah rail worker’s slaying found dead in cell

Composite image featuring the booking photo of Flint Wayne Harrison | St. George News

SALT LAKE CITY (AP) — Authorities say one of two men charged in the kidnapping and murder of a Utah train worker has died after apparently hanging himself in a Utah jail.

The Davis County Sheriff’s Office said 52-year-old Flint Wayne Harrison was found hanging in his cell early Monday morning at the jail in Farmington, about 20 miles north of Salt Lake City.

The sheriff’s office says the State Medical Examiner is investigating.

Harrison and his son, 22-year-old Dereck James “DJ” Harrison, are accused of abducting 63-year-old Kay Ricks in Salt Lake City and killing him in May in southwestern Wyoming.

The two were being held in Utah where they were set to stand trial this year on 16 separate drug and kidnapping charges. They were then expected to be transferred to Wyoming to face charges in Ricks’ death.

Family members of a slain Utah train worker say they’re disappointed one of men accused in his death won’t have to answer for a “brutal and senseless” crime after he was found dead in his jail cell Monday.

The Ricks’ family said in a statement they want Utah authorities to release Dereck James “DJ” Harrison to Wyoming to speed up the process of facing murder charges in Wyoming.

The family said while they don’t know why Flint Wayne Harrison apparently killed himself, they think it may have had something to do with the hard work of Utah and Wyoming law enforcement officers who built the case against him.

Story by The Associated Press

Email: [email protected]

Twitter: @STGnews

Copyright 2016 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.


Free News Delivery by Email

Would you like to have the day's news stories delivered right to your inbox every evening? Enter your email below to start!


Leave a Reply

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.