WASHINGTON CITY – As fireworks were shot into the night sky for Independence Day, some may have set fire on the top of a building on Buena Vista Boulevard in Washington City.
Around 10:45 p.m., Monday, the Washington City Fire Department responded to the report of a rooftop fire at a business at 472 Buena Vista Boulevard, Washington City Fire Capt. Jerry Allred said.
Smoke and flames were visible when firefighters arrived on scene. They were able to get onto the roof in short order with the assistance of a ladder truck from the St. George Fire Department and put out the fire.
The fire burnt an 8-foot-by-8-foot hole in the top of the roof and insulation till it hit the metal portion of the roof underneath. Internally, some water damage may also have resulted, Allred said.
Overall damages are estimated at a few thousand dollars, he said.
No injuries were reported in connection with the fire and business was closed when the incident occurred.
Washington City Fire and Police departments responded to the scene along with the St. George Fire Department and Gold Cross Ambulance. The scene was cleared by midnight.
Throughout the operation, fireworks in the surrounding area continued to be ignited and sent heavenward.
This call was one of a handful Monday night involving fireworks that fire departments across the region responded to.
Under Utah law, fireworks can be used three days before and after the Fourth of July and Pioneer Day – July 24.
This report is based on preliminary information provided by law enforcement or other emergency responders and may not contain the full scope of findings.
Click on photo to enlarge it, then use your left-right arrow keys to cycle through the gallery.
Email: [email protected]
Copyright St. George News, SaintGeorgeUtah.com LLC, 2016, all rights reserved.