SOUTHERN UTAH – National Bike Month is in full swing in Southern Utah and cyclists throughout Washington and Iron counties are celebrating cycling with several activities. Along with the celebrations, both Washington County and Cedar City will receive “Road Respect Community” designations and be recognized as communities that promote cycling safety and respect between cyclists and motorists.
Friday, 8 a.m. | Road Respect Ride | Cedar City
- Experienced cyclists are invited to join Road Respect Riders on a ride to Parowan Gap and around Iron County. Two ride options are available; a 50-mile ride to the Parowan Gap; or a 10 to 15-mile ride around Iron County. Riders interested in participating can sign up here
Friday, 5-7 p.m. | Road Respect Designation and Bike Safety Rodeo | Top Level of the Cedar City Office Parking Lot, 100 N. 100 East, Cedar City
- The Cedar City Police Department will host a bike rodeo on the top level of the Cedar City office parking lot. Members of the Utah Department of Transportation and Road Respect will be giving away youth bicycle helmets and representatives from the Larry H. Miller Tour of Utah will be handing out “Mike and the Bike” coloring books. All events are free to the public
- Cedar City Councilman, Ron Adams, representing Cedar City and the Parks and Recreation advisory board, will accept a plaque from UDOT designating Cedar City as a “Road Respect Community”
Friday, 7-9 a.m. | Bike To Work Day Pit Stop | Corner of Main Street and St. George Blvd., St. George
- Cycling commuters are invited to take a “pit stop” at the corner of Main Street and St. George Blvd. to celebrate “Bike to Work Day.” Coffee and bagels will be served to cyclists from 7-9 a.m.
Saturday, 10 a.m. to noon | Washington County Road Respect Designation | Enterprise Elementary, 216 S. 100 East, Enterprise
- Washington County will be designated as the first official “County Road Respect Community” in the state. A celebration will take place Saturday from 10 a.m. to noon at Enterprise Elementary. The event is being hosted by the Washington County Sheriff’s Department and will include free kid’s bike helmets, kid’s bike skills rodeo and other fun activities. There will also be a drawing for a free bike compliments of eSpokes.
Copyright St. George News, SaintGeorgeUtah.com LLC, 2016, all rights reserved.