63-year-old woman charged in City Hall bomb threat

MESQUITE, Nev. — After evacuating a public building and homes in the surrounding area, police arrested a 63-year-old woman Saturday for allegedly communicating a bomb threat.

In the late afternoon hours, the Mesquite 911 Communications Center received a suspicious emergency call in which a woman said she left some items at Mesquite City Hall located at 10 E. Mesquite Boulevard in Nevada, according to a media statement issued by the Mesquite Police Department.

Wendy Stone, of Mesquite, Nevada, booking photo posted March 26, 2016 | Photo courtesy of Mesquite Police Department, St. George News
Wendy Stone, of Mesquite, Nevada, booking photo posted March 26, 2016 | Photo courtesy of Mesquite Police Department, St. George News

“The caller then stated the items were left next to a large fuel tank and that officers better go see what she had left,” according to the statement. “The caller then stated ‘kaboom!’ and hung up the phone.”

Authorities immediately contained the area around City Hall and evacuated homes within the vicinity.

Officers located some personal belongings and handwritten notes on tables setup near the Mesquite Fire Department and City Hall.

Mesquite officers and detectives were able to link the 911 phone call back to a Mesquite residence. The personal items found at the location of the bomb threat were linked to 63-year-old Wendy Stone, who lived at the Mesquite residence, according to police.

Stone had also made two other calls to the Mesquite 911 Communications Center the day before, police said, but hung up the phone without reporting an emergency.

Officers began surveillance on Stone’s residence while detectives investigated the alleged bomb. After a short period of time, detectives were able to confirm the items left at City Hall were not a bomb and were not a threat to the public.

Officers were then able to safely make contact with Stone at her residence. Stone was arrested and booked into to the Clark County Detention Center in Las Vegas.

She was charged with three gross misdemeanor counts of misuse of the 911 systems and one felony count of communicating a bomb threat.

St. George bomb threat

This was not the first time Stone has found herself facing felony charges for calling in bomb threats.

Stone was charged with two second-degree felony counts of making a false alarm in November 2015 after calling in a bomb threat to the Dixie Regional Medical Center 400 East Campus in St. George.

“ … (She) called in making statements of bombs going off, and you better ‘get the F out of there, I’ve got a bomb I’ll blow the place up,’” the charging officer wrote in the court affidavit. “She also made the statement ‘Jihad, F— You.’”

The River Road campus was also receiving phone calls from Stone who allegedly told employees she was tired of being put on hold with their phone system, according to court documents.

Stone allegedly made comments about having oxygen and a lighter and that she would blow the place up and contaminate the water. However, police did an extensive search of the area and found no indication of any type of explosive device.

Persons arrested or charged are presumed innocent until found guilty in a court of law or as otherwise decided by a trier-of-fact.

Email: [email protected]

Twitter: @STGnews

Copyright St. George News, SaintGeorgeUtah.com LLC, 2016, all rights reserved.

Free News Delivery by Email

Would you like to have the day's news stories delivered right to your inbox every evening? Enter your email below to start!

Leave a Reply

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.