LAVERKIN — After a successful inaugural Founders Day celebration last year which included a visit by Gov. Gary Herbert, LaVerkin City is pleased to host its second annual celebration on Saturday.
This year, the festivities will once again kick off with a free breakfast from 8-10 a.m. sponsored by Davis Farmers Market and served by LaVerkin City leaders and employees.
Following the breakfast will be the Founders Honoree Program, which will honor resident Thell Gubler. Gubler is the grandson of two well-known LaVerkin founders: Morris Wilson, Jr., who was the first bishop of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints in LaVerkin, and Joseph Edward Gubler, the first settler in LaVerkin.
Utah Lt. Gov. Spencer J. Cox, who was scheduled to be in attendance at the Founders Day events, had to bow out because of a family emergency, City Administrator Kyle Gubler said. However, he added that Miss Utah, Krissia Beatty, will still be at the festivities and will be the keynote speaker at the Honoree Program.
“She happens to be the great-granddaughter of the honoree as well,” Gubler said.
Other events for the day will include a homemade ice cream and molasses contest starting at 11 a.m. The winner will be determined by honoree Thell Gubler and Miss Utah.
The “North vs. South” co-ed softball game will also take place at 11 a.m.
“We’re timing (the game) just right this year,” Gubler said. “Last year, it rained on us.”
Gubler said that attendees need to be aware that this year’s soapbox derby has been cancelled; however, the Mayor’s Walk, lunch and awards ceremony will still take place as scheduled.
Founders Day activities
- 8-10 a.m. | Free breakfast sponsored by Davis Farmers Market and served by LaVerkin city leaders | Location: North of LaVerkin Elementary, 51 W. Center Street, LaVerkin
- 10-11 a.m. | Honoree program honoring Thell Gubler with guest speaker Miss Utah, Krissia Beatty | Location: City Council Chambers (Old White Church), 111 S. Main Street, LaVerkin
- 11 a.m. | Homemade ice cream and molasses candy contest | Location: Old White Church gym, 111 S. Main Street, LaVerkin
- 11 a.m. | North vs. South co-ed softball game | Location: Field north of LaVerkin Elementary, 51 W. Center Street, LaVerkin
- 11:30 a.m. | Mayor’s Walk | Location: Starts at the Old White Church, 111 S. Main Street, LaVerkin
- 12:30 p.m. | Lunch of hot dogs, chips and homemade root beer available at a nominal cost | Location: LaVerkin Elementary, 51 W. Center Street, LaVerkin
- 1:30 p.m. | Closing ceremony and awards | Location: LaVerkin Elementary, 51 W. Center Street, LaVerkin
- LaVerkin City website
Email: [email protected]
Copyright St. George News, SaintGeorgeUtah.com LLC, 2016, all rights reserved.