Firefighters and police respond to suspicious blaze

ST GEORGE — Fire crews worked for over an hour and a half Friday night to extinguish flames consuming six large bales of compressed cardboard stored behind Kmart, 745 S. Bluff, in St. George.

The fire, which was reported just after 9:30 p.m., has also prompted a police investigation.

Firefighters fight blaze behind Kmart Friday evening, 745 S. Bluff St., St. George, Utah, Feb. 26, 2016| Photo by Cody Blowers, St. George News
Firefighters fight blaze behind Kmart Friday evening, 745 S. Bluff St., St. George, Utah, Feb. 26, 2016| Photo by Cody Blowers, St. George News

“There are no ignition sources where the fire is at,” said St. George Fire Department Chief Robert Stoker. “No electrical or anything like that.”

Firefighters brought the blaze under control fairly quickly, however it continued to smolder under numerous layers of cardboard that was bound and baled for recycling, said Stoker.

In order to get to those areas still burning the heavy metal bands binding each bale must be cut, each bale broken down, and then all materials must be soaked with water to prevent them from rekindling, Stoker said.

“We’re probably going to spend over an hour or so on overhaul, trying to get to the concealed areas to put them out.”

Firefighters break up cardboard to fully extinguish embers, Kmart, 745 S. Bluff St., St. George, Utah, Feb. 26, 2016| Photo by Cody Blowers, St. George News
Firefighters break up cardboard to fully extinguish embers, Kmart, 745 S. Bluff St., St. George, Utah, Feb. 26, 2016| Photo by Cody Blowers, St. George News

As soon as fire crews arrived on scene, the cinder block walls on the outside of the store were hit with water to contain the blaze to the cardboard bales.

The St. George Police Department was contacted due to the suspicious circumstances surrounding the fire and its location, Stoker said, adding the area is dark and not easily accessible.

St. George police responded and were interviewing the store manager, Stoker said. No injuries were reported and damage was contained to the cardboard bales.

The St. George Fire Department and the St. George Police Department responded to the scene.

This report is based on preliminary information provided by law enforcement or other emergency responders and may not contain the full scope of findings.

Click on photo to enlarge it, then use your left-right arrow keys to cycle through the gallery.

Email: cblowers@stgnews.com

Twitter: @STGnews

Copyright St. George News, SaintGeorgeUtah.com LLC, 2016, all rights reserved.

 

 

 

 

Free News Delivery by Email

Would you like to have the day's news stories delivered right to your inbox every evening? Enter your email below to start!

Posted in Local, NewsTagged , , , , ,

1 Comment

  • Mean Momma February 29, 2016 at 12:27 am

    I see homeless people around there all the time. Maybe they know what happened?

Leave a Reply