ST. GEORGE — Assistance League of Southern Utah held its annual Holiday Celebration luncheon Thursday to celebrate the season, each other, and their iconic year of volunteerism and hard work.
The Holiday Celebration Luncheon was hosted by The Falls Event Center, compliments of The Falls owner.
A full catered lunch was prepared and served compliments of Chef Jennifer Polanowski and her crew from Just a Little Bite Cooking Company in St. George.
“It is just a celebration of our year,” Assistance League of Southern Utah’s President Martha Heuer said, “and for members to get together and celebrate the season.”
What an amazing year 2015 has been, Heuer said.
“We have already clothed and have provided shoes for over 700 children in Washington County,” she said.
Assistance League of Southern Utah is a nonprofit, all volunteer organization dedicated to enriching the lives of children. The impact can be felt throughout Washington County.
Volunteer members are very involved in various programs throughout the year. In 2015, the organization:
- Provided new clothing and shoes to over 700 children in 32 Washington County schools through “Operation School Bell”
- Attended, read to and provided books to 29 classrooms at East Elementary with their “Read Across America” program
- Mobilized the Community Outreach Program designed to rapidly respond to specific community needs
- Utilized the “Adopt a School Program” providing support to a specific school in need
- Continued their “Waste Not Program” that extends their reach and ensures that donated items not used by ALSU are forwarded to other community programs
All of this was accomplished by 83 members donating 6,157 volunteer hours.
National Statistics for Assistance League:
- Returned $38.8 million to local communities, assisting 1.5 million people
- Nearly 26,000 member volunteers in 120 chapters report 3.2 plus million service hours
- Operation School Bell assisted 330,915 children last year and 4.3 million since 1958
Click on photo to enlarge it, then use your left-right arrow keys to cycle through the gallery.
Copyright St. George News, SaintGeorgeUtah.com LLC, 2015, all rights reserved.