Oven malfunction causes fire, ruins turkey dinner

ST. GEORGE —  Fire spoiled Thanksgiving dinner for a St. George resident Thursday as the oven in a mobile home malfunctioned and sent smoke billowing into the residence.

Firefighters remove an oven and burned turkey from a residence on Dixie Downs Road, St. George, Utah, Nov. 26, 2015 | Photo by Ric Wayman, St. George News
Firefighters remove an oven and burned turkey from a residence on N. Dixie Downs Road, St. George, Utah, Nov. 26, 2015 | Photo by Ric Wayman, St. George News

Firefighters were dispatched to the home at 1360 N. Dixie Downs Road at about 2 p.m. on a report of a possible kitchen fire, St. George Fire battalion chief Robert Hooper said.

“We arrived on scene, we did see some smoke coming out of the windows and the doors,” Hooper said. “We found that the fire was contained to the oven itself.”

The resident was apparently cooking a turkey when the oven malfunctioned, Hooper said. The turkey and oven were removed from the residence while firefighters ventilated the smoke out of the home.

No damage was done to the structure, Hooper said. All damage was confined to the oven and some smoke damage to the residents’ possessions — and the turkey.

“It’s done. Really done,” Hooper said.

This report is based on preliminary information provided by law enforcement or other emergency responders and may not contain the full scope of findings.

Click on photo to enlarge it, then use your left-right arrow keys to cycle through the gallery.

Email: rwayman@stgnews.com

Twitter: @STGnews | @NewsWayman

Copyright St. George News, SaintGeorgeUtah.com LLC, 2015, all rights reserved.

Free News Delivery by Email

Would you like to have the day's news stories delivered right to your inbox every evening? Enter your email below to start!

Leave a Reply

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.