ST. GEORGE – Most venues at the Southern Utah Shooting Sports Park have been closed pending a safety investigation.
County and city officials met Thursday to discuss a recent increase in the number of bullet strikes and spent rounds discovered in areas near the popular Purgatory gun range, according to a news release issued by Washington County Administrator Dean Cox.
The meeting included members of the Washington County Commission, Sheriff Cory Pulsipher, Hurricane Mayor John Bramall, Hurricane Police Chief Lynn Excel and representatives of the Shooting Sports Park Special Service District, the release said.
“We are seeking the publics’ support in respecting this temporary safety closure and ask that anyone observing solo-shooting or other questionable activity at the range, to please report it to area law enforcement officials,” the release said.
In the meeting, all sides pledged to work together to ensure the safety of both the general public and guests and participants at the Shooting Sports Park.
Pending evaluation of the facility by ballistic and range experts, all shooting venues except for the shotgun and archery venues are now closed. Some previously scheduled events will be allowed under careful supervision, the release said.
The Shooting Sports Park will remain closed while the safety study is conducted, and until any needed improvements are made.
No unauthorized shooting will be allowed. A no-trespassing policy has been adopted effective immediately, and area law enforcement officials have been asked to strictly enforce it, the release said. Officials are working as quickly as possible to ensure the park’s safe reopening as soon as practical.
Copyright St. George News, SaintGeorgeUtah.com LLC, 2015, all rights reserved.