Fire originating from wood-burning stove damages home

A fire damages a home, Washington Utah, Nov. 13, 2015 | Photo by Ric Wayman, St. George News

WASHINGTON CITY — Firefighters were called to a Washington City home Friday morning and found smoke pouring from the roof vents.

Washington City firefighters were dispatched to the home on 100 East just before noon. When the first engine arrived, responders reported smoke coming from the residence.

The family affected by Friday morning's fire talks with Washington City Fire Chief Brent Hafen, Washington, Utah, Nov. 13, 2015 | Photo by Ric Wayman, St. George News
The family affected by Friday morning’s fire talks with Washington City Fire Chief Brent Hafen, Washington, Utah, Nov. 13, 2015 | Photo by Ric Wayman, St. George News

“They had a fire in the wood-burning stove,” Washington City Fire Chief Brent Hafen said. “Basically, they had left some logs on top of the stove. They caught on fire on the outside of the stove and filled their house full of smoke.”

Hafen said the smoke went up into the attic.

“We got so much smoke coming out of the attic that we wanted to check that and make sure that we didn’t have any fire extended up there,” he said.

Impact from the fire was limited to smoke damage throughout the home, Hafen said.

“The whole house filled with smoke, so they’re going to have the smell of smoke on everything,” he said.

This report is based on preliminary information provided by law enforcement or other emergency responders and may not contain the full scope of findings.

Email: rwayman@stgnews.com

Twitter: @STGnews | @NewsWayman

Copyright St. George News, SaintGeorgeUtah.com LLC, 2015, all rights reserved.

 

Free News Delivery by Email

Would you like to have the day's news stories delivered right to your inbox every evening? Enter your email below to start!

Leave a Reply

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.