LEEDS – Take a peek into the past and commune with ghosts as the Silver Reef Museum presents “Ghost Nights;” a historical walking tour of Silver Reef.
Guests will encounter ghosts of the wild, wild west and listen to the stories of those who dared to carve out a life in the desert.
Now in its third year, “Ghost Nights” acts as a fundraiser for the museum as it heads into the late-fall, early-winter season, and provides an opportunity to share a bit of Southern Utah history in a unique way.
“Attendance is really good,” Andrew Peterson, treasurer for the museum, said. “We try to change it up and keep it fresh so people will want to come multiple times.”
Some ghosts from years past will be returning and new ghosts will be crossing over to share their stories with guests.
There will be approximately 6-8 historical figures in character spaced throughout Silver Reef and groups will walk to each setting and hear a different tale of living, working and being involved in the wild shenanigans of the old mining town.
“Ghost Nights” will take place at 7 p.m. Saturday, and again on Oct. 30 at 7 p.m., beginning at the Silver Reef Museum, 1903 Wells Fargo Road, in Leeds.
On Saturday only, the museum will also offer an indoor matinee at 5 p.m. in the historical Cosmopolitan building (next door to the museum) for those wishing to participate but not walk.
In addition to the tour, there will be a wild west shootout held in conjunction with “Ghost Nights” which will take place at 6:15 p.m. both nights.
Patrons of the outdoor event are encouraged to wear sturdy shoes and bring a flashlight as they will be walking around in the dark.
This event is geared mostly towards adults, Peterson said, adding that some of the stories are not suitable for children who are younger than middle school-aged.
Light refreshments will be served after each tour including the indoor matinee.
Admittance to the event is $5 with advanced reservations, $7 at the door and free for museum members. Reservations are encouraged.
For more information and to make reservations visit the Silver Reef Museum website.
- What: Silver Reef Museum’s “Ghost Nights”
- When: Saturday, Oct. 24, 5 p.m. – indoor matinee, 7 p.m. | Friday, Oct. 30, 7 p.m.
- Where: Silver Reef Museum, 1903 Wells Fargo Rd, Leeds
- Admission: $5 with reservations, $7 at the door, free for members
- Reserve your spot: Silver Reef Museum
- Additional information: Patrons are encouraged to bring a flashlight or headlamp, reservations are strongly recommended
- Shootout at high noon highlight of ‘Wild West Days’
- Halloween happenings through month-end in Southern Utah
- St. George Book Festival extols literacy for all ages, week full of events
- Spooky Town Fair’s kid-friendly Halloween fun, not fright, supports classrooms
- Weird Tales: Ghostly phone call
- Weird tales: Dark road through the woods
Copyright St. George News, SaintGeorgeUtah.com LLC, 2015, all rights reserved.