KANAB — Grand Staircase-Escalante National Monument’s Deer Creek Campground will be closed Oct. 26-29 as construction crews will be demolishing an existing vault toilet and replacing it with an improved facility.
The National Park Service describes vault toilets as those including a sealed container buried in the ground with a building over it. All waste is contained until it is removed by pumping.
If all goes well, the campground will reopen late Oct 29, according to an email from the monument’s public affairs department. The general public will not have access to the site during this closure. Right-of-way holders accessing private property through the campground will be accommodated.
- Grand Staircase-Escalante National Monument website
- Contact: Escalante Interagency Visitor Center at 435-826-5499
- Dixie’s Adopt-a-Paws: H.A.R.T. of Utah
- Human remains found near Enterprise
- Weird tales: Dark road through the woods