ST. GEORGE – Firefighters were dispatched to the area of 100 West and 200 South in St. George Friday night in response to a possible gas leak that turned out to be something very different.
The St. George Fire Department was alerted to the potential gas leak around 9 p.m. Residents of the home where it was reported were being evacuated as fire crews arrived at the scene, St. George firefighter Jay Quayle said.
“We shut off the gas to the building and did our checks inside,” Quayle said. “We were unable to find a gas leak, just more of an off smell.”
Residents of the home were allowed back inside once it was determined there was no apparent threat.
The “off smell” was eventually located in the garage. It turned out to be food that had been left out and forgotten and subsequently spoiled.
The odious source of the disturbing aroma was disposed of without incident.
In addition to the St. George Fire Department, Questar Gas and Gold Cross Ambulance also responded to the call.
This report is based on preliminary information provided by law enforcement or other emergency responders and may not contain the full scope of findings.
Click on photo to enlarge it, then use your left-right arrow keys to cycle through the gallery.
- Gas leak halts construction in Kayenta neighborhood
- Gas leak results in evacuations at Dixie Commons; STGnews Videocast
- News Short: Gas leak at Target evacuates shoppers
Email: [email protected]
Copyright St. George News, SaintGeorgeUtah.com LLC, 2015, all rights reserved.