ST. GEORGE — The Washington County Drug Task Force continues cracking down on drug-related crimes in the county, arresting a 36-year-old man Sunday on five second-degree felony charges of drug distribution, among other drug-related offenses.
The task force conducted a narcotics distribution investigation into James “Marco” Cruz, of Las Vegas, Nevada, according to probable cause statements written by the task force in support of the arrest.
During the course of the investigation over the last five months, the task force conducted a controlled buy of heroin on multiple separate occasions in Washington County, the statement said, through the use of a confidential informant who purchased heroin from Cruz.
The task force has since had a difficult time locating Cruz as he is not from the area.
On Sunday, detectives spotted Cruz, who had two active warrants for his arrest, in St. George getting in the rear passenger seat of a vehicle, according to the probable cause statement. Detectives initiated a traffic stop of the vehicle on North Bluff Street in St. George.
Cruz was placed under arrest and searched and a black tar substance which tested positive for heroin was found in his pocket, according to the statement. Cruz was booked into the Washington County Purgatory Correctional Facility where additional heroin was found hidden in his boxers.
He was charged with five second-degree felonies for drug distribution, a third-degree felony for drug possession, and six class B misdemeanors for possession of drug paraphernalia.
Cruz made his initial court appearance Monday afternoon. Bail for his release pending trial stands at $59,080, according to booking information. As this report is published, Cruz remains in custody.
Persons arrested or charged are presumed innocent until found guilty in a court of law or as otherwise decided by a trier-of-fact.
- On the record: Beyond arrest, convictions bring life sentence of hardship
- Drug-free zones: What, where are they? What is their purpose? STGnews Videocast
- Utah considers major criminal justice reform, reduced drug offense charges
- Man busted for possessing 2 lbs of marijuana, over 2 lbs of marijuana seeds
- St. George sisters arrested for meth distribution, possession
- Task force nabs alleged heroin dealer
- Task force nabs man in possession of distributable amount of meth
- 2nd drug distribution arrest in a month for would-be shoplifter
- Arrest made in 6 alleged drug overdoses at DSU off-campus complex
Email: [email protected]
Copyright St. George News, SaintGeorgeUtah.com LLC, 2015, all rights reserved.