ST. GEORGE — The Dixie State University Alumni Association, in conjunction with DSU’s homecoming week, is hosting its sixth annual “Midnight Rebel 5K” Friday at the Hansen Stadium, 225 S. 700 East in St. George.
Check-in for the race will begin at 11 p.m. Friday night with the race starting as the clock strikes midnight.
The association invites DSU alumni, students and members of the community to throw it back to the decades of the ’60s, ’70s and ’80s as they participate in this family-friendly fun run aimed at raising funds for scholarships.
All the proceeds from the race will fund a variety of student scholarships, DSU Alumni Marketing and Public Relations Coordinator Chet Norman said, adding that it includes everything from needs-based to student-leader scholarships.
Join DSU President Richard “Biff” Williams and his family for a 3.1-mile, midnight trip around campus guaranteed to bring back your favorite Dixie memories.
“If you attended Dixie, it is an opportunity to come back to the campus and relive your memories,” Norman said. “It is one more opportunity to keep alumni connected and involved with the school.”
Dixie State University has a very active alumni, Norman said, and the race has become a popular event that many of the alumni and their families look forward to participating in each year.
The race will begin and end at Hansen Stadium and the course will take place entirely on the university campus.
“It is kind of a unique thing because you see campus in a different light,” Norman said, “especially during homecoming week when the fountain is lit up and the ‘D’ on the hill is red … it is just kind of cool to kind of think back on your experience at Dixie.”
Registration for the event can be done online until 6 p.m. Friday or in person at the race location starting at 11 p.m. Race registration is $15 for current students with their student identification or alumni with an alumni card, and $20 for community members.
Registration includes a race shirt (while supplies last) and finish line refreshments as well as the opportunity to win prizes including a prize for best costume.
Click on photo to enlarge it, then use your left-right arrow keys to cycle through the gallery.
- What: Dixie State University Alumni Association Midnight Rebel 5K
- When: Friday, Sept. 25 | Registration: 11 p.m. | Race: Midnight
- Where: Hansen Stadium, 225 S. 700 East, St. George
- Cost: Students/Alumni: $15 | Community: $20
- Registration: Online | In person, day of registration will be available starting at 11 p.m. at the event
- Additional information: Runners are encouraged to dress up in costumes celebrating the decades of the ’60s, ’70s and ’80s. Must present student identification or alumni card for discount
- ‘D’ on hillside glows red for Dixie State Homecoming Week 2015
- Dixie State gets $10,000 grant to help students recover from substance abuse
- Dixie State settles free speech lawsuit; students get $50,000
- Red Storm Recap: Busy and successful week for DSU fall sports
Email: [email protected]
Copyright St. George News, SaintGeorgeUtah.com LLC, 2015, all rights reserved.