Grease fire damages townhouse kitchen

A grease fire damaged the kitchen of a townhouse Sunday afternoon. St. George, Utah, Sept. 20, 2015 | Photo by Ric Wayman, St. George News

ST. GEORGE — The St. George Fire Department responded to a townhouse located at 280 N. 500 West in St. George Sunday afternoon after a pot of grease caught fire and began to spread.

A grease fire damaged the kitchen of a townhouse Sunday afternoon. St. George, Utah, Sept. 20, 2015 | Photo by Ric Wayman, St. George News
A grease fire damaged the kitchen of a townhouse Sunday afternoon, St. George, Utah, Sept. 20, 2015 | Photo by Ric Wayman, St. George News

Firefighters responded to the scene just before 2 p.m. where they saw smoke coming from one of the townhouse units. Upon arrival, they were admitted inside by the residents who told them there had been a grease fire on the stove.

The occupants had put the fire out using water from the sink, Battalion Chief Ken Guard said.

“(The fire) extended to the cabinets above the stove,” Guard said, adding that the major damage was to the cabinets, the hood and the stove. There was also smoke damage to the townhouse.

“It’s fortunate that no one got hurt when they moved the grease — the pot of grease — that is pretty hazardous,” Guard said.

“Turn it down, cover it up,” Guard said, adding that water and grease do not mix, and the occupants were lucky the fire didn’t spread.

As this report is published, no monetary estimate of damage was available.

St. George Fire sent three engines to the incident, and units from the St. George Police Department and Gold Cross Ambulance also responded.

This report is based on preliminary information provided by law enforcement or other emergency responders and may not contain the full scope of findings.

Related posts

Email: rwayman@stgnews.com

Twitter: @STGnews | @NewsWayman

Copyright St. George News, SaintGeorgeUtah.com LLC, 2015, all rights reserved.

 

Free News Delivery by Email

Would you like to have the day's news stories delivered right to your inbox every evening? Enter your email below to start!

7 Comments

  • ladybugavenger September 20, 2015 at 4:51 pm

    Public announcement: do not put water on a grease fire

  • fun bag September 20, 2015 at 5:52 pm

    well, using water is better than burning the house down, not ideal but it worked

  • laytonian September 20, 2015 at 6:24 pm

    One-story condos/apartments are NOT townhomes/townhouses.

    Townhouses have multiple stories.

  • sagemoon September 21, 2015 at 9:10 am

    Should’ve bought the fried chicken from KFC.

    • Dexter September 21, 2015 at 3:38 pm

      Should of tooked a cab to KFC and just stayed there n ate

      • fun bag September 21, 2015 at 4:50 pm

        would of been cheaper

  • fun bag September 21, 2015 at 12:05 pm

    mhmmmmmmmm fried chick’n

Leave a Reply

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.