ST. GEORGE – A group of 20 World War II veterans and two Korean War veterans participating in the “Utah Honor Flight” program along with their guardians and staff are in the District of Columbia visiting the monuments and memorials that have been built in honor of their service and sacrifice.
This trip, which began Thursday and will culminate on Saturday, is the second Honor Flight this month. The Southern Utah group is joined by a group of 24 veterans and their guardians from Salt Lake City areas and they will travel together while in the nation’s capital.
A welcome home is planned for the group when they arrive back in St. George on Saturday.
At approximately 8 p.m. the veterans and their guardians will arrive at the Dixie Center St. George, 1835 S. Convention Center Drive, escorted by the Patriot Guard Riders.
As they disembark from the bus that carried them from McCarran International Airport in Las Vegas, Nevada, the veterans will be escorted into the Dixie Center by the The Dixie Wing of the Air Force Junior ROTC where they will be given a hero’s welcome.
St. George Mayor Jon Pike will be the guest speaker and each veteran will be presented with a photo memory book of their trip and an American flag.
The community is invited and encouraged to attend this special welcome home to give these veterans the opportunity to be honored for their service. Patriotic clothing and signs are encouraged as well.
- What: Utah Honor Flight welcome home
- When: Saturday, Sept. 19, approximately 8 p.m.
- Where: Dixie Center, 1835 S. Convention Center Drive
- Additional information: The public is encouraged to come in patriotic clothing to celebrate and honor these veterans
- Utah Honor Flight’s emotional homecomings in St. George, Cedar City; STGnews Videocast, Photo Gallery
- Veteran stories: WWII vet recalls B-29 bomber special assignment – 2014
- WWII veterans receive hero’s welcome home on return from Honor Flight – 2014
Email: [email protected]
Copyright St. George News, SaintGeorgeUtah.com LLC, 2015, all rights reserved.