ST. GEORGE — A barn dance and barbecue at Hela Seegmiller Historic Farm Wednesday will be the first event in a new family festival celebrating the Dixie Roundup.
“St. George Round-Up Days” is set to fill Vernon Worthen Park in St. George, Friday and Saturday. The event will offer a full slate of activities designed to complement the rodeo. Bull riding, pie eating and a three-legged race are just some of the events scheduled.
Barn dance kick-off
American Legion Lester Keate Post 90 will get the party started Wednesday by offering a chance for Roundup fans to kick up their heels at a free barn dance. Local band “Rock N Horse Band” will provide the music for a night of country dancing that begins at 8 p.m. at Hela Seegmiller Historic Farm, 2450 S. 3000 East in St. George.
A barbecue of burgers, hot dogs and delicious beans will be served, starting at 6 p.m. If your two-step is rusty, dance lessons will be given from 6:30-7:30 p.m. to make sure everyone can enjoy the fun. Dancers are encouraged to arrive in Western wear, but it’s not required.
“This will be our very first barn dance and it’s in conjunction with our Round-Up Days so we’re actually making history,” said Pam Palermo, veteran and Post 90 Auxiliary president.
The dance is open to everyone at no charge. A donation of $5 for the barbecue dinner is requested.
“They just need to come and let go and have fun,” Palermo said. “It’s going to be a blast.”
The event will raise money for local veterans and their families.
“It’s what the American Legion does,” Palermo said. “The American Legion are veterans taking care of veterans. We’re there to help them in any way we can.”
Palermo was inspired to start the barn dance tradition this year to give the public a chance to experience the venue.
“Seegmiller Farms is absolutely beautiful,” Palermo said. “It’s brand new and what a way to get people out to see Seegmiller Farms and what the city has done with that park.”
- What: “Round-Up Days Barn Dance and Barbecue“
- When: Wednesday, Sept. 16, 6 p.m.
- Where: Hela Seegmiller Historic Farm, 2450 S. 3000 East, St. George
- Cost: $5 donation requested for barbecue dinner
- More information: American Legion Lester Keate Post 90 website | Telephone 435-628-3287
- What: “St. George Round-Up Days“
- When: Friday-Saturday, Sept. 18-19, 10 a.m. to 7 p.m.
- Where: Vernon Worthen Park, 300 S. 400 East, St. George
- More information: Round-Up Days website
- History, tradition at home in the Sunbowl; Dixie Roundup
- Dixie Roundup Rodeo tickets go on sale
- St. George Lions crown Dixie Roundup Rodeo Queen, Princess; STGnews Videocast
- Building to preserve the past; Hela Seegmiller Historic Park
Email: [email protected]
Copyright St. George News, SaintGeorgeUtah.com LLC, 2015, all rights reserved.