ST. GEORGE — Dixie State University’s “Dixie Forum: A Window on the World” lecture series will join in a filmmakers seminar series this Tuesday at noon for opening day of the DOCUTAH International Documentary Film Festival. The filmmakers series is offered daily during the festival Tuesday through Saturday at noon, 1 p.m. and 2:30 p.m. in the Main Stage Theater of the Dolores Doré Eccles Fine Arts Center on campus, 225 S. 700 East, St. George.
The filmmakers series seminars are informal conversations that give the audience a tease of the films and the opportunity to interact with filmmakers from around the world. They are free and the public is welcome to attend.
Tuesday’s seminar at noon, joined by the Dixie Forum, will feature filmmakers Hildegard Elisabeth Keller and Kathleen Claire Lee.
Keller comes to the festival from Switzerland and the University of Indiana. Her film “Whatever Comes Next” provokes viewers to take a fresh look at storytelling, art, writing, the Holocaust and aging with vigor.
Lee, a Dixie State student, will share about her film, “The Devil and the Angel.” The film takes viewers on a journey through the mystery, fantasy, passion, madness and romanticism of a master luthier and his love affair with the violin, which has been referred to as the “devil’s instrument.”
During its run, DOCUTAH International Documentary Film Festival will screen 77 films that feature silly to sublime subject matters. Films are also screened at venues throughout the Dixie campus and Southern Utah.
Visit the DOCUTAH website to watch film trailers and get the complete schedule for the festival’s seminars, film screenings and galas.
All students are admitted for free into DOCUTAH seminars and films and have the opportunity to enter a drawing for Dixie State University scholarships.
Dixie Forum: A Window on the World
Dixie forum will continue Sept. 15 at noon in the Dunford Auditorium in the Browning Resource Center with a lecture from Phillip Garner, an assistant professor in Dixie State’s Udvar-Hazy School of Business. Garner will discuss economic growth around the world and explore some of the various hypotheses that have been put forward as explanations for the wealth and poverty of nations.
- What: Dixie Forum: A Window on the World, participation in filmmakers seminar series
- When: Tuesday, Sept. 8, noon to 12:50 p.m.
- Where: Main Stage Theater, Dolores Dorè Eccles Fine Arts Center, Dixie State University, 225 S. 700 East, St. George
- Contact: John Burns, 435-879-4712 or [email protected]
- Dixie State University forum website | Facebook | Twitter
- Dixie Forum reconvenes with lecture on law, war
- DOCUTAH hosts 6 galas during film festival; new inaugural gala included
- DOCUTAH transports runners to lofty goals with ‘Run free,’ ‘Race that Eats its Young’
- DOCUTAH films look at revolutions in Syria, Egypt; Islam, masculinity
Email: [email protected]