1 dead, officers medically treated, 3 homes evacuated in carbon monoxide incident

Stock image | St. George News

MESQUITE, Nev. – A citizen welfare check evolved into the evacuation of three homes and the necessity of police officers being medically treated for carbon monoxide exposure in Mesquite, Nevada, Friday.

Officers from the Mesquite Police Department were asked to conduct a welfare check on an elderly person at a local residence Friday, according to a press release from the Mesquite Police Department.

Officers were able to make entry into the residence and found the person deceased in a bedroom,” the press release said.

While they were inside the home, the officers could smell an unusual chemical odor, but they were not able to determine the source of the smell.

The Mesquite Fire Department was called to the scene, and fire responders detected high levels of carbon monoxide in the home and also in the residence next door.

“The police officers on scene were tested and were also found to have been exposed to dangerous levels of carbon monoxide,” the press release said.

The officers were medically evaluated and treated at the scene.

The occupants of three nearby homes had to be evacuated as a result of the incident, so the carbon monoxide could be ventilated and dissipate.

The Clark County coroner was called to the scene to investigate the death of the elderly person while officers continued investigating the source of the carbon monoxide.

“Officers were able to determine the high levels of carbon monoxide were produced by a vehicle which was parked inside the garage,” the press release said. “The vehicle had been idling with the garage door closed for an undetermined amount of time.”

The keys to the vehicle, which had a remote start button, were found inside the home, according to the press release.

The cause of the elderly person’s death has not been determined as this report is published. The official cause of death will be released by the Clark County Office of the Coroner/Medical Examiner once that office’s investigation is completed, the press release said.

“It is unknown at this time if the carbon monoxide had played a role in the elderly person’s death,” the press release said.

Related posts

Email: [email protected]

Twitter: @STGnews

Copyright St. George News, SaintGeorgeUtah.com LLC, 2015, all rights reserved.



Free News Delivery by Email

Would you like to have the day's news stories delivered right to your inbox every evening? Enter your email below to start!

Leave a Reply

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.