HURRICANE — “Peach Days 2015” is drawing near, Hurricane City’s 17th annual festival, packed with events Friday and Saturday for all to enjoy in various locations around Hurricane.
The festival starts Friday, 10 a.m., with booths, displays, a carnival, candy cannon and pioneer games. Friday is packed with entertainment, a basketball tournament and eating contests, finishing up with the movie “Big Hero 6” in the park at dusk.
Among the biggest draws are the parade and Pioneer Corner, Peach Days executive board member Jarolyn Stout said.
“Everybody loves the food (at Pioneer Corner) and the entertainment,” Stout said.
Saturday starts with a 12K fun run, trail treks and, of course, the Peach Days Parade.
- The 12K Fun Run begins and ends at the Hurricane Community Center. Registration is $10 by Aug. 31, $15 after Aug. 31. Day-of registration is at 5:30 a.m., run at 6 a.m. (Registration form and details are included in the 2015 Peach Days online magazine.)
- The Historic Hurricane Canal Pioneer Treks range from mild to strenuous: Leaving Heritage Park at 6:30 a.m. will be a 4.5-mile moderate hike and a 5.7-mile strenuous hike; leaving the Bowery Trailhead at 8 a.m. will be a one-quarter mile mild hike.
- The parade starts at 9 a.m. Saturday, led by Grand Marshals Waldo and Sybil Hirschi and Weldon and Vivien Heaton. Read all about this year’s marshals in the 2015 Peach Days online magazine.
Displays and a kids’ kit activity open Saturday at 10 a.m.
A basketball tournament, “Hurricane’s Got Talent,” eating contests, peach cook-off, rodeo, concerts and fireworks round out the event.
See the schedule of events for details, times and locations.
Community participation is what makes Peach Days a success and the city encourages all to come be a part of this year’s event. It’s a great opportunity for new and old friends to mingle as all celebrate Hurricane’s heritage.
“We need people to enter things — how can you have a display if people don’t enter?” Stout said.
The traditional displays, always a staple of the event, will be featured in the Hurricane Elementary School, 928 W. 325 North, in Hurricane. There’s still time to prepare an entry in any of the categories, including home arts, fine arts, garden and baked or bottled goods.
Prizes are only awarded to top-placing entries in each division, but all entries are awarded a ribbon and will be truly enjoyed by thousands of event-goers.
And, bring your appetite for the food booths as a wide selection of favorite mouth-watering options will be on hand.
- What: Peach Days 2015
- When: Sept. 4-5
- Where: various locations, Hurricane
- 2015 Peach Days online magazine
- Schedule of events
- Peach Days 2015 event entry information sheet
- Home arts judging forms | pickles, relishes, jams, jellies; canned meats, canning; quick breads, decorated cakes; pies, pastry; cookies, cake; biscuits, muffins
- Event entry forms | 12K entry form, rodeo entry form, homemade sales entry form, parade entry form, cook off entry form
- Contacts: David Stirland at 435-635-0343 | Jarolyn Stout at 435-635-4204 | Vera Hirschi at 435-229-2230
- Get your red boots on: George, Streetfest is going country, celebrates recovery
- DOCUTAH films look at revolutions in Syria, Egypt; Islam, masculinity
- ‘Soldiers’ Stories’ honors veterans in DOCUTAH’s first 3-D film
- Red Rock Singers present ‘A Little Night Music’